I am not sure where this idea that P-40s replaced Hurricanes in North Africa came from but it is basically false.
It's surprising that you keep making this statement because it's so easy to disprove. The last time you made this claim I replied with a detailed post which you seem to have somehow not seen, perhaps due to the magic of ideology.
Here is a link to it from another thread and here is a repost for your convenience:
The following RAF / Commonwealth combat squadrons converted from Hurricanes to P-40s in the Western Desert (use of some types overlapped). It was a total of 7 combat squadrons in all:
From
239 Wing:
112 Sqn RAF (Hurricanes I in the first half of 41, Tomahawk in the second half, Kittyhawk I from Winter 41, Kittyhawk III in 1942, Kittyhawk IV in early 44, then Mustang III in late 44)
250 Sqn RAF (Hurricane I and IIB and IIC from February to April 42, Kittyhawk I and II April - October 42, Kittyhawk III from October 42, then Kittyhawk II again, then Kittyhawk IV in 44
, and finally Mustang III from August 45)
260 Sqn RAF (Hurricane I and II from Nov 41 - Feb 42, Tomahawk II from Feb - Mar 42, Kittyhawk I from Feb - Sep 42, Kittyhawk IIA from Jun 42 - May 43, Kittyhawk III from Dec 43-Mar 44, Mustang III from Apr 44- Aug 45)
3 Sqn RAAF (Gladiators and Gauntlets - and a few Lysanders- in 1940, then Hurricanes in 1941, then Tomahawks in late 1941, then Kittyhawks from 1942- Nov 1944, then Mustang IV)
450 Sqn RAAF (Hurricane from May-Dec 41, Kittyhawk I and Ia from Dec 41 - Sept 42, Kittyhawk III from Sept 42 - Oct 43, Kittyhawk IV from Oct 43 - Aug 45, Mustang III from May 45-Aug 45)
from
223 Wing
4 Sqn SAAF (Hurricanes from March 41 - plus some Mohawks - Tomahawks from Sept 41, Kittyhawks from some time in 42, then Spitfires in July 43)
2 Sqn SAAF (Gladiator and Gladiator II from 1940, Hurricane in early 1941, Tomahawk IIB June 41 - May 42, Kittyhawk I Apr 42 - June 43, Kittyhawk III, June 43 - July 43, Spitfire VC from July 43 - march 44, Spitfire IX from Feb 44 - July 45)
As far as I can tell, one unit,
239 Squadron RAF operating as a recon unit from England switched from Lysanders (Sep 40 - Jan 42) to Tomahawk I and IIa (from Jun 41 to May 42) to Hurricane I and IIc (from Jan 42- because they didn't like the Tomahawk). Then they were converted to the Fairey Battle in Jun 42!!! Then the Miles Master in March 42, then finally to Mustang I in May 42, and Beaufighters in Oct 43 and then Mosquitoes from Dec 43.
I couldn't find any Western Desert units that switched from P-40 to Hurricane
though I am not saying there weren't any. I just couldn't find it if there was.
5 Sqn SAAF never got Hurricanes to begin with (Mohawk Vk, Dec 41 with Tomahawk IIB, late 42 with Kittyhawk III, Kittyhawk IV in 1944)
In addition, some Canadian squadrons which seem to have been home-defense units based on Canada's Pacific coast, converted from Hurricanes to Kitythawks, but I don't consider these combat units. They included:
133 Squadron British Columbia (converted from Hurricanes to Kittyhawks in March 44, then to Mosquitoes)
135 Squadron Patricia Bay (converted from Hurricanes to Kittyhawks in May 44)
163 Squadron Sea Island (converted from Hurricanes to Kittyhawks in Oct 43)
Please note that in fact 250 RAF did convert from Hurricane IIB to Kittyhawk, as did 260, and I think 3 RAAF as well.
The Hurricane Squadrons were still making claims from air to air kills till the end of the African campaign. 73 squad made 9 or 10 claims and an equal amount damaged in Tunisia in April and May 43. By this time the Kittyhawks were primarily fighter bombers as well.
Yes, they still made a handful of claims in 1942 and 1943 while flying fighter bomber missions, but compare the above to the claims for any of the US fighter P-40 groups or to the 239 Wing or 223 Wing RAF / Commonwealth groups. Kittyhawk II and IIIs and P-40F/L were flying escort missions routinely in April and May 1943, quite often for Hurricanes or older model Kittyhawks.
We can debate this further in that other thread if you want to rather than continue to derail this one.