A Little Local History (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
I live in Lincolnshire and not without good reason it was often known as Bomber County, a name it is proud of and with good reason. At one point there was an airfield every ten miles and in some areas every five. However the base that is closest to where I live was RAF Hibaldstow and is now run by a parachuting club.

RAF Hibaldstow was an unremarkable airfield being a satellite airfield for RAF Kirton in Lindsey but was a little unusual for the area, as it was a fighter airfield.

It has two small claims to fame.
First it was from this airfield that a WAAF took an unexpected flight on the back of a Spit Vb hanging on to the tail. Its a remarkable co incidence that this Spit V is now part of the BOB flight.
Second, it was from this airfield that the only claim was made against a He111 by a Turbinlite / Hurricane combination. What is interesting is the Turbinlite was able to 'see' the He111 on its radar but the Hurricane could only see the Turbinlite. So the Turbinlite closed the range until the Hurricane could see and attack the He111 shooting it down. The He111 didn't go down quietly as both the Turbinlite and the Hurricane were damaged by return fire. Another interesting fact is that the Turbinlite didn't use the searchlight, as the crew clearly believed that as soon as it was switched on the He111 would evade and it would be lost.
Churchill was apparently delighted with the news as he was keen on the use of the airborne searchlight, so no one told him that the searchlight hadn't been used. Tragically the pilot of the Hurricane was killed in a flying accident only three days later.

We live practically on the edge of what was the airfield, and did come home one Saturday after shopping to find an unopened parachute in the front garden.

As I said a little local history

I;m not surprised !
It's been a while since I did a tour of disused airfields in Licolnshire, but I'm considering going to the East Kirkby airshow again, so might do a wander around some of the old fields afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back