A Quick question about airbrush compressors....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

proton45

Senior Airman
Jan 30, 2007
Massachusetts
This may seem like a "silly" question (IDK) but I have not seen an obvious answer to my problem so I thought I'd seek some advice...(I'm sure) it's not a hard question for someone who knows.

Are all air compressors the same...in regards to using a "single action" or a " double action" airbrush? I have dabbled with airbrushes before, but I have always used the aerosol containers. I have been looking to buy a nice double action airbrush and compressor but their is a big price difference between (advertised) "single" "double" action kits.

I'm just wondering if I can buy a cheaper (as advertised) "single" action compressor and use a "double action" airbrush with it?

...eh, Thanks in advance. :eating: :coffee:

Last edited:
airbrushes are double action only by the option to regulate both the amount of paint as the amount of air from the trigger, single action is the only spray layers can not have a regulator.

If you have no hand with the airbrush as convenient is to use an economical kit kits have enough affordable with very silent piston compressors with dual action airbrushes pretty hard. I would recommend you master compressor 1/4 hp and you find out air flow 23l / m - 40 l / m

The compressor's job is to provide air to a user at a constant pressure. That user can be could be anything and your compressor choice need not depend on the kind of airbrush you have. Look for a reliable unit with a regulator that varies the pressure from 0 to 40ish psi. Anything more than that is wasted. I do most of my work at 10 to 20 psi and only use 40 to clean out the brush.

If you're mechanically inclined, you can make your own from a fridge compressor. These are great for low noise and reliability but you'll need to add the needed plumbing. Consider also to get a moisture trap as part of the set-up to prevent water getting blown out with the paint.

I built my own, its pretty easy to do, I'm building a smaller one now a days for "house" work, there very silent and I'd never buy a commercial one again, unless I wanted to tell the neighborhood of my hobby, and so far only my neighbor next to me knows I model (mostly because he saw me in the garage, but when he asked where my compressor was and I showed him, he loved how silently it ran :))

Exactly that with the fridge compressor, I'll try to snap some pics of my new one (the mini) its on the same system so if i get a chance I'll put some up :) its pretty basic and if you need help or can't figure out a step, theres a good guide on youtube that really simplifies the process.

You will need a friend with a workshop and basic knowledge of stuff :D, because theres a couple things you just can't do at home :S at least I can't weld/do some odd end jobs at home, so I use a friend's place and pick his brain when needed :D.

It comes out just under the price of one of the medium sized compressors (my computer harddrive big compressor did) but I'd recomend building a medium size one (since it'll be easier to travel with) the large one I have limits me to at home stuff. So I'm making a mini I can take just about anywhere.

Last edited:
wow...@Rogi, an idea I didnt think of, cool. Thanks...that is food for thought.

It should cost you no more than like 100 bucks. And thats if they over charged you for the fridge comp. unit. (high end 40 bucks max on the unit)

I'm with fellow igor's a photo of my compressor motor is rather small but it is a gift, and the hole is prepared for an engine fasteners of 1cv refrigerator.
this engine is very low noise and very low power consumption is of using new refrigerators AA +, has only 11w of consumption, but to paint over 1.5 hours does not give sufficient flow and pressure lose.
I'm waiting for a friend buys me get engines to repair engines 1/2cv to wear it.

26c6dbba.jpg

This is a photo of a few months ago I changed several components that have been purchasing, the pressure I've placed one telemecamique industrial, and a safety valve for when to not remain in the compressor outlet pressure and one for when you disconnect the boiler no air to prevent condensation, the following will be a fluid valavula to return the oil to the engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back