A stirring visit with the past

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 23, 2006
Southern California
I just got back from Enid, Oklahoma, where we visited my wife's parents. Enid is also the home of Vance AFB, where I spent my pilot training days. In the cool still morning air, the smell of burned JP4/5 wafted across the lawn, transporting me instantly back to my AF flying days. What powerful and moving memories that sweet smell can induce. I also stopped on the highway paralleling the outside runway and watched T-38s do touch and gos with the car shaking from the afterburner lights and those magnificent jet bounding into the air and realizing how fortunate I have been to have experienced such a thrill as military flying. For you young guys out there, military training is the best and it is an immensely rewarding experience and provides a brotherhood bond with all men and women of all services and occupations be it pilot, WSO, navigator, maintenance man, controller, airplane, helicopter, etc. I am honored to have participated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back