A Walk in the Park; Boramae Park, Seoul.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There were always superpowers behind them when they had been involved in the war.

This includes Japan, which occupied Korea from 1904 until forced out in 1945.

Tokyo would also be a target if Kim starts tossing Nukes around

From the current rhetoric being bandied about 'on both sides', to quote a phrase, it might not be Kim who starts shooting first.

Indeed, Shinpachi and please don't take what I said as a sleight against you or Japan today, but to add that the occupation of Korea by Japan opened the country up to the division and strife it faces today. The country has had a turbulent past. I found the Koreans I met very friendly and slightly more reserved than your average Chinese. I had a lot of fun in China interacting with the locals. They seem very at ease with foreigners in China and they have a real neat sense of humour and laugh a lot. I'm sure the Koreans do to, but they seem more restrained.

I have never heard that Japan was responsible for the two Koreas.
Then, Who had been responsible for the two Germanys ? Germans themselves ?
Interesting logic.

Hi Shinpachi, I think you might be leaping to a misinterpreted conclusion. I am not saying Japan is directly responsible for the division of the country; that was the US who proposed the idea, and the Soviets accepted. The fact that Korea was occupied by Japan meant that in the vacuum post war - actually the war had not ended by the time the Russians had sent troops to occupy the country, which in turn led the US to propose the 38th parallel the day after the Nagasaki atom bomb was dropped, Korea was naturally occupied by foreign powers because of the fact that Japan had occupied the country for as long as it had. The US was uncertain of what to do with the country or its strategic importance, it just did not want it to fall into Soviet hands.

Wikipedia page on the occupation of Korea by Japan: Korea under Japanese rule - Wikipedia

A brief overview of the occupation and subsequent division: 20th CENTURY: Korea as a Colony of Japan, 1910-1945 | Central Themes and Key Points | Asia for Educators | Columbia University

Here is a good description of the initial US occupation of Korea after the war: South Korea - South Korea Under United States Occupation, 1945-48

Again, Shinpachi, this is not to criticise, but to objectively examine historical events. I've been studying Korea and its division for some time now; it is a fascinating and troubled history.

Learn it well nuuumannn and you will be able to speak Japanese too as basic grammar is same.

En: I understand
Kr: Aratta
Jp: Wakatta

En: Come and go
Kr: Wattari Kattari
Jp: Ittari Kitari

etc.

Ancient Koreans and Japanese are said speaking same language.
There are still common words like Udon, Kaban, Hata(ke), Nara(=country), Hana(No.1), Modoshi ... etc.

Hi Shinpachi, I learned to speak Japanese when I was young, but I've forgotten almost all of it! I have been to Japan and do wish to return - it is a country that I am fascinated with, too and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time there, when I was there.

China, Japan, Korea; their history and fates are intertwined.

Users who are viewing this thread