About Jumo-211 motor-cannon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Was it possible (without some major redesign) to install a gun that would've fire through the prop shaft, like DBs, Hispano-Suiza or Klimov engines managed?

Bf 109 B-1 with Jumo 210D had an engine mounted machinegun which was later usually removed because of overheating issues. I don't know what that says about the Jumo 211.

not an expert by any means but machine guns themselves generate tremendous heat, combine that with the heat of the 12-cylinder engine and you have significant cooling problems
just an opinion but a definite major redesign

Actually, it's other way around: aircraft guns required heating in order to function properly at high altitude/low temperature. The engine provided that free of charge.
The guns themselves fired during very short time, wich coupled with air stream made overheating non-issue for fighter plane guns.

thanks tomo, now that you mention it i do recall that some planes had problems with their gun mechanisms freezing and i remember something about the wildcat/hellcat adding two more .50 but not changing the ammo capacity giving them something like 30 - 40 sec firing time. things are different on the ground, there were times when our .50 barrels glowed red hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back