Academy 1:48 P-38m Lightning landing gear parts

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vengeance

Airman
Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi guys,
I've had a micro-tragedy, I'm what you might call a winter modeller meaning I get my modelling gear out in the winter months when theres not much doing outside.
I'm currently building a 1:48 P-38m "night" Lightning from Academy, however when i got my stuff out to continue the build, I've misplaced (lost) the little plastic bag containing the landing gear!!! I've torn the whole house apart to no avail. The pieces I'm missing are the landing struts for the rear wheels, and the little reinforcing bars for the struts, and what looks to be a long slightly bent metal bar that goes up into the boom. I still have the actual wheels but are missing these vital pieces. Any suggestions on how to fashion another set (2) of struts or alternatively does anyone out there have in their spares box some parts I could buy/swap etc that would allow me to finish this build?
Help me Obiwan Kenobi, your my only hope!

Get a set of white metal legs - most people I know who've built this kit and its variations, including myself, have had the main gear axles break, resulting in a tricky, and very tenuous repair job. The chances of finding spare kit parts are slim, and therefore better, and easier, to start out with the metal legs.

Thanks for the reply, and where would one find these mysterious "metal legs" of which you speak!! Pardon my ignorance, are the an after market thing or are you suggesting I fashion them out of metal myself?
Thanks again!

I can't remember the manufacturer's name, but the company produce a range of cast, white metal after market accessories, including landing gear legs, guns, engines etc.
Have a look at the Hannant's web-site - select 1/48th scale, and 'P-38', and everything available should then be displayed. Having identified the manufacturer etc, you can then order them locally if available, or direct from Hannant's.
I recently found the advert for the P-38 set in a modelling magazine, as I was going to replace the legs on my model. But I've put the magazine somewhere safe .... so safe I can't find it !

Thanks for the tip Airframes, looked into it, they have the parts I'm looking for. Weighing up the cost of the parts and getting them shipped out to Australia, that might put a dampener on the project. Could cost me 30-50 dollars!

That would be great, if you found them fubar, I'll hold off my plans till you've replied with the results of your search,
Much appreciated!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back