Aichi D3A1 Performance Data? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JOVE23

Airman
May 16, 2016
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever come across reliable maneuvering data on the D3A1, namely the roll rate?

Thanks!

I'll see if I can dig up my Japanese books on the subject. I obtained a few years back a whole series that I found referenced on combinedfleet.com . Also, do you have Peter Smith's book on the Val?

The Peter Smith book on the Val (Crowood books) is one of the best books ever written on a single plane. It gives the original requirement for the "11th Research Carrier Dive Bomber" to be ....dogfight maneuverability after bomb release to be comparable with those of fighter aircraft................

I didn't see any actual angular data on maneuvering from a quick skim through. Although the book even has tables on test oil temperature etc.....!

There is a US account of "Val" pairs doing a "thach weave" type team tactic vs a Wildcat during Guadalcanal.

Thanks for the input! I know the "Val 11" was covered in TAIC Report 15 but I've not been able to source that report yet. I doubt it has maneuverability data but you never know!

And no, I do not have the Smith book. Might be something I need to look into!

I have the d3a1 Designer Notes
QQ图片20230309175236.jpg

View attachment 710398
This is the D3A1 prototype achievement AM17 is the Aichi Municipal Number
Amazing! I also echo shinpachi-san's request to see more pages. There is a D3A undergoing restoration at Pearl Harbor, I am trying to find as much original info and blueprints as I can.

EDIT: It seems the book was created by Aichi Kokuki KK designer Ozaki-san, whose name comes up in Peter C. Smith's book on the Val:

diemert_blueprints.png

Last edited:
Amazing! I also echo shinpachi-san's request to see more pages. There is a D3A undergoing restoration at Pearl Harbor, I am trying to find as much original info and blueprints as I can.

EDIT: It seems the book was created by Aichi Kokuki KK designer Ozaki-san, whose name comes up in Peter C. Smith's book on the Val:

View attachment 710430
Frankly, I am not interested in D3A so much but here 瀬戸地下軍需工場 is a group of Aichi Aircraft research enthusiasts in Japan.
You can contact with them by mail.

The underlined seems to be the same reports CN AK12 posted.
DVD_18_VAL.jpg

Source: http://ob.aitai.ne.jp/~tera-m/aiti/aikouframepage1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back