Air-Force Superstitions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Velius

Airman 1st Class
Sep 4, 2007
Central Texas
Hey everyone,

This is an interesting question that crossed my mind earlier today.

Were there any air force superstitions during WWII?

I did a quick search on google and got these (military superstitions) from another forum (Military Photos . net)

1) Never step into a helicopter, or onto APC with your left foot.
2) Never shave before a mission.
3) Once done packing a parachute, spit 3 times, over the left shoulder.
4) When lighting a cigarette from someone else's match, always lightly hit their arm 3 times with your finger.
5) Never clean your boots in the morning.
6) Never sweep the barrack in the evening.
7) When loading a wounded guy, always load him with his feet facing the
truck (helicopter, APC).
8) Always kiss the last bullet before loading it into a magazine.
9) While jumping from the plane, always quickly turn your head slightly to the right.
10) Give a "name" to your rifle.

Although the title of this thread is "Air-Force Superstitions" other military superstitions are welcome. Let's see what we can do with this one guys! :D

Velius 8)

Hey everyone,

This is an interesting question that crossed my mind earlier today.

Were there any air force superstitions during WWII?

I did a quick search on google and got these (military superstitions) from another forum (Military Photos . net)

1) Never step into a helicopter, or onto APC with your left foot.
2) Never shave before a mission.
3) Once done packing a parachute, spit 3 times, over the left shoulder.
4) When lighting a cigarette from someone else's match, always lightly hit their arm 3 times with your finger.
5) Never clean your boots in the morning.
6) Never sweep the barrack in the evening.
7) When loading a wounded guy, always load him with his feet facing the
truck (helicopter, APC).
8) Always kiss the last bullet before loading it into a magazine.
9) While jumping from the plane, always quickly turn your head slightly to the right.
10) Give a "name" to your rifle.

I can speak to 2.), 3.) and 9.)

Although the title of this thread is "Air-Force Superstitions" other military superstitions are welcome. Let's see what we can do with this one guys! :D

Velius 8)

Not shaving is dam#ed uncomfortable on a long ride with an oxygen mask -

I have packed a fair number of chutes, although I was not a rigger - I never heard or witnessed this one.

9.) was true for a C-47 and C-46 and C-119 (from left door)because that is SOP when exiting the side door on a static line - you faced into the slipstream on exit to reduce 'tumbling'... but not really a superstition - just the method until the C-130 came in. I have no idea what is taught at jump school these days but wouldn't be suprised if still in procedure because some jumps by Spec Ops are probaly still made out of small conventional STOL aircraft - probably out a left door. Dan could better comment on that one.

Even in the Air Force .5) was 'risky' unless you were in the boonies. First Sargents, CPO's and Gunnies (even Lieutenants)are all alike on that 'superstition' during inspections.

makes you wonder where some of these come from- #3 is interesting- so's 5

What about the one where you're supposed to piss on the tailwheel before a mission? Heard they stopped it due to corrosion but it was SOP for a long time.

What about the one where you're supposed to piss on the tailwheel before a mission? Heard they stopped it due to corrosion but it was SOP for a long time.

So when AirForce 1 is about to take off, the pilot says "just a minute Mr. President"..... :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back