Airbrushes and compressors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
G'day all!

I'm looking to finally get an airbrush and compressor, and would appreciate you guys' advice as to what I should look for or what types I should consider.

Main uses will initially be just for modelmaking (1/72 mostly), but as I'm an artist, I might try painting with the airbrush too eventually.

Physical considerations are space, and noise, as I live on the 7th floor of a 10 storey block of flats with neighbours on all sides, and no soundproof walls!

I'd appreciate any advice ya's could offer! :)

Cheers, Evan

In Poland there are available some quite cheap compressors and airbrbrushes.

These are very suitable for our modellng.The airbrush Profi AB-1004 with the 0.2 mm/0.3 mm nozzles and very similar to those ones PROFI AB-1007 with the same nozzles. their cost is about 125-130 zł.
The piston compressor MINI MA-1000 gives up to 3.3 bar airpressure,17l of air per minute,very silent with moisture trap and regulation of airpressure.Cost - 300-320 zł.

Attachments

• Profi AB-1004 .jpg
    Profi AB-1004 .jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 97
  • PROFI AB-1007.jpg
    PROFI AB-1007.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 86
  • MINI MA-1000.jpg
    MINI MA-1000.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 85
Hi Evan,

The 3.3 bar airpressure is enough mostly for painting.Especially for acrylic paints.My friend who uses the MINI MA-1000 + PROFI AB-1007 with 0.2mm nozzle set, hasn't had any problem with airbrushing of both kind of coloures so far.I mean the oil enamels and acrylic ones ( Humbrol,Pactra).Simply these Polish airbrushes are suitable for the compressor.

I have to mention that these airbrushes are a copy of Japonese Iwata ones but they work with lower airpressure contrarry to the Japonese devices.I have heard that the genuine Iwata airbrush didn't work with the compressor properly or didn't work at all.So I would suggeste to find a compressor with 5.0 bar and more for the Iwata ones.I think it is better to have a bit higher airpressure,especially if there is possibility to set and control this one.You can try to this one for instance.
Amazon.co.uk: Piston Type Air Compressor With Tank: Toys Games

As far as the moisture trap is concerned,as you know for sure there is always moisture in the air.A compressor ,when it is working , gets warmer and then the moisture from the air in the compressor is condensed,especially in an airbrush hose,close to an airbrush.As a result an airbrush spits both a paint and water and there are made bruises on painting surface.In order to avoid or rather reduce this effect the moisture trap is needed.Personally I would suggest to mount an additionall small filter close to an airbrush.( I've uploaded some examples in one of Les' thread about his models ,as I remember about Fw190A8 ,if not ,these should be in some threads about painting at modelling section).Ah.... the water problems of a compressor are the common feature to compressors without an air tank,mostly.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks mate!
I'll have to read those comments (they were on the 'my sophomore attempt' thread weren't they?)

I'd heard of Iwata being a good brand for airbrush artists, but if the PROFI is an improved version, then that sounds good to me!

Thanks again!

Thanks mate!
I'll have to read those comments (they were on the 'my sophomore attempt' thread weren't they?)

:D you're welcome.Possible, these were there but I don't remember.Sorry for that. :oops:

I'd heard of Iwata being a good brand for airbrush artists, but if the PROFI is an improved version, then that sounds good to me!

No,no Evan.The PROFI isn't an improved version of Iwata.It is a cheap copy of the Japonese airbrush but works very good.If you want to use an airbrush for your artistic works you should buy one of these from the high lewel prices.For modelling the PROFI one is really enough.

I just want one for modelmaking at the moment. Maybe later when I get the hang of it I might start looking at airbrushes for painting aswell, but that's a long term goal - I love brush painting landscapes too much to change at the moment.

So for modeling the set is enough.:D.Of course you can look around for the similar set in your city.In Internet there are a lot of these.Just use Google.

Thanks mate! I just wasn't sure what I should be looking for in an airbrush, etc. They're not cheap, especially the compressors, so I want to get something that's going to do the job properly.

Thanks again for your help, Evan

:D I understand.In addition to that I have to tell you that the best comperssors are these that are hand-made by oneself using a fridge compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back