Airbus Reveals CityAirBus EVTOL Aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
From Avweb:

As part of its "Pioneering Sustainable Aerospace" summit earlier this week, Airbus announced plans for its CityAirbus NextGen urban air mobility (UAM) aircraft. The fully electric, four-seat, V-tail fixed-wing aircraft is configured with eight motors optimizing the "distributed propulsion" advantage. Perhaps most to its credit, the new program combines data and experience from Airbus's 242 flight and ground tests with two lead-in designs—the Vahana and the first-generation CityAirbus program.

Bruno Even, CEO of Airbus Helicopters, said, "We have learned a lot from the test campaigns with our two demonstrators. The CityAirbus NextGen combines the best from both worlds with the new architecture striking the right balance between hover and forward flight. The prototype is paving the way for certification expected around 2025."

Initial performance targets are a modest 43-NM range flying at 65 knots' cruise speed, said Airbus. Low noise signature is another, often underestimated, advantage of electric flight. Design goals for CityAirbus NextGen are sound levels below 65 dB(A) during fly-over and below 70 dB(A) during landing. And the design does not require moving surfaces or tilting parts during transition. "The CityAirbus NextGen meets the highest certification standards (EASA SC-VTOL Enhanced Category)," according to Airbus. "Designed with simplicity in mind, CityAirbus NextGen will offer best-in-class economic performance in operations and support."

21-9-22-AVFlash-CityAirbus-NextGen.1.jpg

a modest 43-NM rang

As with so many of thse VTOL EV's, I ask myself, "Would I take off in my airplane knowing there was only fuel on board for 43 nm?" That is only about 20 to 30 min. Not only does it sound hazardous, it violates the regulations on how much reserve you need. I suppose that means they will have to have energy on board for at least 86 nm, which still sounds too short. Of course they are only going 65 mph but even so that is less than an hour and half.

As with so many of thse VTOL EV's, I ask myself, "Would I take off in my airplane knowing there was only fuel on board for 43 nm?" That is only about 20 to 30 min. Not only does it sound hazardous, it violates the regulations on how much reserve you need. I suppose that means they will have to have energy on board for at least 86 nm, which still sounds too short. Of course they are only going 65 mph but even so that is less than an hour and half.
It's more of a proof-of-concept prototype.

"The prototype is paving the way for certification expected around 2025."

They are going to certify it in the near future. In that case the prototype must be essentially the same as the production model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back