I recall back at Tinker AFB someone had input a suggestion that we do something to extend the life of the F-111 cockpit air conditioning vents. I had noted some time before that we were using a lot of the things - and what wears out in a vent? I had found that it was impossible to climb into an F-111 without putting your hand on the vent; they had provided a place to put your foot but nowhere to grab with your hand.
So I got the General Dynamics drawings and had our shops build two examples, one made with 0.040 AL overall and one made with 0.050 AL overall, rather than the .020 and .032 AL material originally specified. The sheet metal shop guys said, "The drawing says there is a lip here." while pointing at a spot on the drawing. I replied, "No it does not! And GD and half a dozen small firms have built these without putting a lip there!" They insisted there was a lip and I did not object further, since for evaluating a stronger example it made no difference and they test examples would not have to be installed on an airplane. I looked at the results, decided to go with the 0.050 version and had a note added to the procurement requirements. A comparatively simple part, and the ALC shop people could not properly interpret the drawing.
When the first procurement was made of the new version I specified that a first article example would be supplied so I could look at the new version. The procurement guys asked me why I wanted to do that since we had bought literally hundreds of those before. I told them it was a new version I had designed and I needed to see it.
The first article samples came and I noted with approval that they were stronger than the old ones. But wait a minute! I had both one of the old ones and the two experimental ones still in my desk drawer. Comparing them, I found the new manufacturer had made a serious mistake. There was a Right and a Left version of the vent, basically mirror images of each other, and the new manufacturer had made one that was "half and half," mixing parts from the two different versions to make a type that would not fit the airplanes. I rejected the samples.
So there you go. A simple enough part, but different supposedly qualified people could not agree on what the drawing said.