Aircraft instrument ID needed....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jeff8600

Recruit
Mar 25, 2009
Hi All,
I was able to pick this up for $20 from a guy that needed money.
He said that it was off a WWII bomber or transport.
I'm thinking it is off of a dive bomber due to the 70 degree dive limit on the face and the US Navy marking on top.
I know what type of instrument it is I would like to know what A/C it would be used in,

Any help would be great
Thanks
Jeff
DSC05942.jpg

DSC05943.jpg

DSC05944.jpg

DSC05946.jpg

DSC05947.jpg

DSC05948.jpg

DSC05949.jpg

The marking is a US Navy rubber inspector stamping used for marking specialized equipment including aircraft instruments accepted by the US Navy. It appears to be a bank and climb gyro control for a Mark 4 autopilot. But only thing I can tell is that your piece MAY have come off of a Douglas DC-3 (C-47). IF it works and you paid $20, you likely have paid just about what it is worth. Best I can come up with on short notice.

Matt - you're on it tonight, I'm drunk and full of turkey and ham. Great call dude! (Hic)

Avionics are not tied to a specific airframe. I think you would find that your particular instrument was likely installed in numerous different airplanes. If it has a specific naval ID (vice the US Navy stamp), you might be able to narrow it down.

Are you implying that your indicator came from that particular panel? That certainly would help with the mystery. But I'm interpreting that you meant you found a similar looking indicator on those panel pics. Am I right?

Avionics are not tied to a specific airframe. I think you would find that your particular instrument was likely installed in numerous different airplanes. If it has a specific naval ID (vice the US Navy stamp), you might be able to narrow it down.

Are you implying that your indicator came from that particular panel? That certainly would help with the mystery. But I'm interpreting that you meant you found a similar looking indicator on those panel pics. Am I right?

I realize that avionics are not airframe specific (I'm an A&P) but out of all my research this is the only picture that I've seen with the same indicator.
Since it said "70 degree freedom in dive" that was the first thing that lead me to the dive bombers.
I'd love to see any other pictures of this indicator in a cockpit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back