Aircraft on trains

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

556.jpg
L27096-19.jpg
tipap9pv.jpg
Couple of more pictures.

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
Many thanks my friend, yep they went straight into my archives :lol: . I did reduce the picture size for easier viewing but not before I made them into a pdf file. For those looking for higher resolution download the pdf.

Again many thanks GF

Attachments

• train.pdf
    12.3 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Hi! This thread caught me eye as I am also a model railroader.

I like the idea.

Reading through the posts I have a question and some comments.

Is the plane you used HO or 1/87th scale? I see a Company called CMK does make a line of HO WWII German Aircraft. Their listing includes Me-262, He-162, Ar-234, Ju-88, He-111, Fi-156, Fw-190A, and Fw-190D. They are not cheap running $27 to $39 American. I have no clue as to their quality. I am just looking at them in a catalogue.

Also the flat car you used to me has American Arch Bar trucks. I am not going to say this for 100%, but I don't think those trucks were ever used in Europe. If anyone knows better, correct me.

The largest airplane I know of that was moved by rail was a B-36. It was moved from Texas to Arizona about 5 years ago from a defunct Museum. The airplane was disassembled to move it. I have yet to see any pictures of this.

My two bits American

Bill G.

Hi! This thread caught me eye as I am also a model railroader.

I like the idea.

Reading through the posts I have a question and some comments.

Is the plane you used HO or 1/87th scale? I see a Company called CMK does make a line of HO WWII German Aircraft. Their listing includes Me-262, He-162, Ar-234, Ju-88, He-111, Fi-156, Fw-190A, and Fw-190D. They are not cheap running $27 to $39 American. I have no clue as to their quality. I am just looking at them in a catalogue.

Also the flat car you used to me has American Arch Bar trucks. I am not going to say this for 100%, but I don't think those trucks were ever used in Europe. If anyone knows better, correct me.

The largest airplane I know of that was moved by rail was a B-36. It was moved from Texas to Arizona about 5 years ago from a defunct Museum. The airplane was disassembled to move it. I have yet to see any pictures of this.

My two bits American

Bill G.

Hi Bill, I personally cant answer your question. Though I might be able to help on your rail road car question. I know a link that has most of the stuff sent over seas on the lend lease. Will see if I can find a the document on rail road stuff sent over seas. If I remember right it just says locomotives, flat cars but I could be wrong.

Like you I loved the idea of a military train but found it to be a little high in money for me to start yet and my son is still a little young yet that I buy cheap cars for him to play with since he has well how do you put it taken a few out.

Micdrow:

That was a most interesting list. We did ship a great many 8 wheel flat cars. The problem is that the Arch Bar trucks were out of production by WWII. They were already banned from interchange traffic here in the US.

Now some of this could have been Company cars that were not interchanged. So if used equipment was shipped and not just new equipment, Arch Bar trucks are possible.

My gut feeling is that it is not very likely, but I can't say no.

European 8 wheel cars have very different trucks from what we have here. I don't know, and the list doesn't say what style of trucks were used on Lend-Lease rail cars. Were they the style the US used or Europe used at that time?

The pictures of aircraft earlier in this thread were on cars that were in use with the German DB rail system. None of these would be Lend-Lease cars.

So questions remain to be answered.

So from across the pond (Lake Michigan), stay as warm as you can in WI!

Bill G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back