Aircraft Parts Discussion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Feb 21, 2017
Hey guys, I've been getting interested in aircraft parts and I'm interested in knowing more about air intakes. Particularly this one question I've had.

What are the benefits of the two mainly-used methods of intakes; specifically overhead and chin intakes? (As in how do they effect engine performance and maneuverability overall?)

By overhead, I mean like the ones seen on most P-40 models. (Pic related)

Attachments

• 1487026528069.jpg
    1487026528069.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
Hey guys, I've been getting interested in aircraft parts and I'm interested in knowing more about air intakes. Particularly this one question I've had.

What are the benefits of the two mainly-used methods of intakes; specifically overhead and chin intakes? (As in how do they effect engine performance and maneuverability overall?)

By overhead, I mean like the ones seen on most P-40 models.

A lot had to do with where the carburetor was.

Allison engine:
070703-F-1234S-020.jpg

Carb is a down draft with the carb inlet almost as high as the rocker covers. Top inlet runs over the top of the engine and does a simple 90 degree turn to the carb inlet.

Merlin engine
4d6b036f2908b3c043600a0e6f0103cf.jpg

Carb is at the bottom right of picture. A low intake reaches the carb with the least amount of turns and ducting.

Many installations used pressure in the inlet duct from forward speed to boost the critical altitude of the engine.
The least amount of internal friction and the least amount of bends/turns in the duct gave the best performance.

Choice of engine often dictated the location of the intake. I believe that the P & W R-2800 two stage engines are the only ones that came with either a an updraft carb or a down draft carb and since the air intake/s were routed through the Aux stage supercharger before reaching the carb it didn't really make any difference which carb was used.
(-8 engine and -10 engine)

anyone know were I can get a Rolls-Royce Merlin I need one to put in this mustang I'm working on the plane still has its original engine and I cane seen to figure out what's wrong with it.it wont start up and I have tried everything PLEASE HELP

The aft doghouse used on several planes of differing nationalities has some advantages. There usually more room so the oil and engine and oil radiators can be grouped efficiently. It's also a sweet spot for somewhat laminar flow air with a bit of standoff spacing. And it's nicely positioned to take advantage of the Meredith effect. And the polar moment of inertia is good.

unless you are going to be jumping up above 20k I think the Allison would be just fine for you. merlins are harder to come by. I guy I know who is building a wooden spit is using an Allison instead of the merlin.

unless you are going to be jumping up above 20k I think the Allison would be just fine for you. merlins are harder to come by. I guy I know who is building a wooden spit is using an Allison instead of the merlin.
I'm trying to keep it like it was in the war the original engine is still in the plane

Augh, common flyboyJ,I keep my spare crated Merlin engines in between my Gresley A4 Pacific Locomotive and my Group of Vincent Black Shadow Motorcycles and under a Ford tri motor hanging from the roof of my secret hanger near Washington D.C.
Where do you keep yours?? :)
I keep mine next to my anti-gravity generator along side my Millennium Falcon replica given to me by Bill Gates kept at the secret base under Denver International Airport.

so I dont have all the clutter that will make my wife angry I found a way keep all of mine in an altoids tin. I lined all my spare parts up...got a pair of tweezers and my binoculars. I turned the binocs around so I was looking in the big lens....shrunk everything down. picked them all up one at a time with the tweezers and put them in the mint tin. next I am going to tackle the basement clutter...

Thought this would be a nice addition in a thread about aircraft parts, now normally I'm all for keeping aircraft engines where they belong, but holy mother of God, I want THIS...

BOAT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back