Aircraft tool.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Herakeles

Airman
Mar 30, 2017
Anyone know what where this tool might have come from? I think it was with the airplanes onboard tools. But not sure what plane it could be. Numbers and such are on the side. Thanks James

Attachments

• IMG_8371.JPG
    IMG_8371.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8368.JPG
    IMG_8368.JPG
    552.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8370.JPG
    IMG_8370.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8373.JPG
    IMG_8373.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 120
Something in the picture to gauge the size from would help. Also are there no markings on the other side?
I've seen a tool similar to that used to work on bottom brackets on a bicycle.

I get that, but it could literally come from anything. Maybe not even an aircraft.
You are absolutely correct but I know it was acquired either taking salvaged planes apart or in an airplanes tool kit. Given how thin it is seems to reduce weight etc...no other markings on the other side and it's about foot and half long.

I.5 foot makes it too big for a bicycle bottom bracket tool.
What size is the wrench end ? It should be in inch fractions.

Someone would have to know, or have access to a lot of English, or American parts books to trace down those parts #.

It may not be for a specific aircraft but rather for an engine type. We have similar tools in our Merlin engine shop and use the crescent tool with the tooth on the end to loosen and tighten threaded connectors found on hose couplings and the magneto to harness connection as shown below. This is just one of many possible uses for this tool but the radius of the circle will match the specific coupling that it is intended to be used on.

20170527_114606 reduced.jpg

NAA made similar tools for electrical conduits and several landing gear and hydraulic components but all NAA tools were numbered T-nnnn.
Douglas tools are all prefixed S65-nnn... for A-20 and (from memory) KB-nnn... for C-47.
Curtiss tools tend to have aircraft part numbers (eg 87-69-737 for some P-40 gun tools) or P-1nnnn for other tools, including some gun tools.
Lockheed tools tended to be S-nnnnn with 4 to six digits
Allison tool numbers tend to be 4 digit starting with 2.
Packard Merlin tools tend to be AT 8nnn or AT 9nnn.
Pratt tools are PWAnnn and Wright tools are all stamped Wright

The part numbers may also refer to a vendor part - EG the hydraulic hand pump on the A-20 is a vendor part and has A-nnnn and B-nnnn part numbers on it. If so this tool may well be impossible to identify.

Given the thickness and the light looking construction I would tend towards an electrical conduit spanner

Yes I have a feeling it will forever be just a tool ...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back