Aircraft wheel identity help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

matspart3

Recruit
Nov 2, 2016
Evening all. Google led me to this forum and, by the looks of some of the threads, you might be able to help!

This wheel was excavated from a building site at Gloucestershire Airport, Staverton today and I'm trying to identify it. The inner side has a stamped serial number on AH 41612 and the rear hub bears two marks AH 40623 Iss 4 and XRD2513m There are other marks but it will need some TLC before they're visible.

Any ideas?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66593629@N02/shares/A3z5x5

Hello matspart3,

Is there any lettering on the tyre ?
This would give use the size of the wheel and help narrow down aircraft type
(Not that it may help much but AH.40622 is 19" CANBERRA Main Hub with casting No F.762)
Bobby
Adelaide, Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
I've reviewed the US Army Air Force's TO No 03-25-10 Index of Army-Navy Aeronautical Equipment, Volume 2, Landing Gear, dated 01 Nov 1944, which contains spec sheets and illustrations of the landing gear components and assemblies from US aircraft during WW2. This wheel is not listed there. Perhaps further evidence that this wheel was not for a US-specified aircraft. If anyone would like a copy of this as a pdf, just send me a message (but its big, over 100MB). A similar index containing US WW2-era aircraft instruments can be downloaded at Downloads.

JT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back