airfix 1/24

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
i have been lookoing at some model shops on here and was woundering if it is worth going for a Airfix 1/24 spitfire MK1 or going for the MKvb.

also what what paints would i require for the above.

Thanks

Keith

Yep....that's way the 1/72 scale is a good alternative as the 1/48 scale kits choice

So go for the 1/32 scale.I think these kits are cheaper than those of 1/24 ones.Their detailing can be equal to.

I haven't looked at the link Jan has just posted, yet. But the Airfix Spit Mk1 was first released around 1969 and, by 1973, retailed at under £3 ! Then, it was a fantastic kit, nothing like it had been seen before. Today, it is still reasonable, although I guess the mouldings have probably suffered, but it's around £35 to £40 - not a fair price I think! About three years ago, I picked up the 109E for £7 in the Woolworths sale, when the full retail price was again around £30. Overall, it's still good, although by todays standards, it's maybe a bit below average, more so when the price is considered. My version had some poorly moulded parts, definite evidence of well used mould tools. It was very poor in the undercarriage area, which is why I built it as a belly- landed example. The Spit MkV is a lot better, but is basically a partly re-tooled Mk1, to provide the parts for the MkV, and again, I don't think justifies the £40+ price tag. If any of these were around £25 to £30 max, they'd be acceptable. To prove this, the Heller 1/24th Mustang 'Gift Set' is considerably less than the Airfix Mustang, yet it's the same kit!
I agree with Wurger; it's nice to have the big scale, but they cost a lot more, and need extra detail adding to do them justice, so it's often better to go for 1/32nd, particularly Hasegawa or, if you know what you want and it's available, the Revell re-boxed Hasegawa, such as the Bf109K.
There are, if you can still find them, some 21st Century Toys 1/32nd scale kits, which, if the screw holes are filled etc, can make excellent models, for under £10, although the available range has shrunk rapidly, and they aren't easy to find locally. (To see what they're like, and what can be done, there's a thread on my 'Gustav' here somewhere). Stockists I know of are mail order, at SBX Models, Ipswich, and Model Hobbies.
Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks guy's i will sleep on it.

There's a lot of models out there now than when i was a kid. ( IT'S GIVEN ME A HEADACHE ) ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo???

Well guy's

i have decided to go for the Spitfire MKvb BBMF gift set ( Jan Zumbach ) who flew EN951 with 303 sqn late sep 1941.

the kit includes motor, 12 paints, brushes and glue = £42 including p&p

Wurger know's i was buying this kit but not what was in it:oops:

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back