airfix 1/48 Ju 87 B stuka (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was first released around 1980 - 1982 ish, one of their then new 1/48th scale range, and way ahead of most kits on the market. It's basically a scaled -down version of the 1/24th scale kit, but without all the engine etc, and was very good value for money, and well praised at the time.
The interior detail and overall was good, and will still hold up today, although perhaps not quite as refined as, say the Tamiya (or is it Hasegawa?) kit. But then, it's cheaper, and worth having, and easy to build. I've been waiting for it to re-appear, suspecting Airfix would re-release it for the BoB 70th, and now it's out, I'll be getting one to replace the lost items from my 1/48th scale BoB collection.
Straight from the box it builds into a very nice model, and of course it can be enhanced with aftermarket or scratch-built detail bits.
Now that they've released a very good Bf109E, and the 'new box' Spit, I wonder if they'll do a Dornier or Ju88A-1 in 1/48th?
I could do with a Do17, other than the fairly expensive but underwhelming Hobbycraft kit, and a Revell/Monogram He111 (if they re-release it). Those, and a Fujimi Bf110 and the Airfix Ju87, and I'm complete again !

great stuff, cheers Terry i think we're both thinking the same things about a 1/48th BoB collection :D
airfix stuka is £12.60 on modelhobbies as are the 109E and the spit I/II kits dont buy em all save some for me mate :lol:

Yeah, I'll need to get some before they discontinue them ! Gone are the days of Airfix (or any other mfg) keeping a kit in the catalogue for years on end. It seems to be about a year for Airfix now, then it goes away and comes back a few years later - and more expensive!
I had one of each of the main adversaries of the BoB in 1/48th, except the Do17 (which is now out again, but bl**dy expensive for what it is, and for Hobbycraft as well!), but apart from the Hasegawa Bf109 and the Hobbycraft Ju88, the rest were lost, or given away, during house moves. The Ju88 is the A-4, but converted to the A-5, which did take part in the BoB, and I should have kept the He111, but gave the kit to a mate when i was moving house, to save packing space etc. B*gger, and now they're rare, although hopefully Revell will re-release it sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back