AIRFIX 1/72 LANCASTER

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Buddy wants me to build him a Lancaster, his favorite aircraft. I talked him out of the 1/48 Tamiya. I found 3 different versions of the Airfix 1/72 kit at a PG shop. Any thoughts?

Geo

The latest Airfix Lanc kits, from about 2 (?) years ago, are very good indeed.
Their early 1980's kit set new standards, and was very good for the time, but the newer, 're-tooled' kits have more interior detail, a better overall profile and 'finesse', and are well worth the price.
As far as I know, they are available in 'standard' B.MkI/III, 'Dambuster', and the Hercules-engined Mk.II, all of which build into very nice models OOB.
If you did go to 1/48th scale, then the over-priced, re-issued, mid 1970's Tamiya kit (with a few new parts), needs quite a few corrections to make it even vaguely accurate on the exterior alone.

Sure thing mukka.....

IMG_20160127_092830.jpg

IMG_20160127_093146.jpg

If the B.1/111 kit doesn't have suitable letters, I think I can probably let you have some code letters Geo. I'll check my decals and let you know, either later this evening (UK time) or sometime tomorrow.

EDIT:- Found the decals and sent a PM.

Last edited:

A remark about an error in the information of the Airfix LANCASTER BIII (modelkit A08013) :
On the box, in the manual and on the Airfix website, this model is described as the ED989 (57 Sqd) named Frederic II. This however is incorrect. The ED989 was named Frederic III. It was the third Lancaster aircraft of W/C Frederic Campbell Hopcroft. The Lancaster 1 W4201 (57 Sqd) was his first Lancaster aircraft and named "Frederic" (crashed on landing at base on 14 March 1943), his 2nd Lancaster at 57 Sqd. was the ED707 named "Frederic II" (crashed 23/24 May 1943, raid on Dortmund, with pilot Chivers, all crew killed). W/C Hopcroft also took part in this raid but with his Frederic III, the ED989. The Frederic III crashed in the raid on Peenemunde (17/18 August 1943, all crew killed) and was flown by W/C Haskell who succeeded W/C Hopcroft at 57 Sqd. at RAF Scampton in July 1943.
The information Airfix gives thus is wrong, the Frederic II was the ED707, not the ED989 (Frederic III)., and that is the aircraft in the kit. However, the decall sticker on the model is the Frederic III one, which thus is correct, and it flew untill August 1943 which is correct, only it wasn't Hopcroft's aircraft then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back