Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MkI/MkIIa review and a few surprises

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The basic kit, although perhaps not having BoB period decals, is a Mk1, so yes, it is a Battle of Britain aircraft, if finished in appropriate markings. As it happened, Rusty, who is no longer a member here, wanted to build an aircraft which appeared in the BoB movie, something we discussed, at the time, via PM and e-mail, and as only one early Mark Spit took part in the movie, a MkIX/XVI or PR19 would have been a more appropriate kit.
And yes, to the uninitiated, a Firefly MkV could look like a two seat Spitfire, just as any aircraft with four piston engines can be thought to be a Lancaster or B-17 !

Thanks for the review of the Airfix Spitfires. Seems to me that another $8 Airfix Spitfire might be more economical and effective than a resin detail kit. If I had to do this kit (and I might eventually) I would definitely drill out the fuselage frame holes.

Since the location of the accessories in the cockpit are different, which is more correct? Resin or Airfix?

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back