"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Woo hoo a new customer for the F-15EX. Keep that assembly line going.

About time. Now Putin will really get worried as this has been the only ace in his pack where Ukraine have been unable to match them. Lets hope they also get the ECM to go with it.

When the dust settles and Russia is cleared out of Ukraine (not a matter of if, but when), I see them becoming a NATO and EU member.

And as I've mentioned earlier, now is the time for Moldova and Georgia to act in expelling the Russians from their occupied territories.
With Russia's resources stretched thin and devoted to the war, they could easily sweep the Orcs out of their territory.

The thing to remember about the A-10 is that it was not designed to operate in a vacuum. It was supposed to operate in concert with top cover (ie fighters and interceptors) and SAM suppression platforms (ie Wild Weasel and other attack platforms).
Indeed. And today that would mean mobile and fixed SAMs are targeted by drone and satellite guided HIMARS before the A-10s arrive. MANPADS will still need to be accepted. But, us armchair generals aside, has anyone asked the Ukrainians if they want and can use the A-10?

When the dust settles and Russia is cleared out of Ukraine (not a matter of if, but when), I see them becoming a NATO and EU member.
I agree. By then no other nation other than perhaps Israel will have such a massive contemporary combat experience in NATO weapons and systems. By the time they're done the UAF will be teaching our forces. Yes, Ukraine will still have the issues with corruption and instability that precluded earlier attempts to join the EU, but removing Russia's influence goes a long way to fixing that. And as long as he can stay alive, the NATO and EU loves Zelinskyy. If Ukraine can take back the Donbas there's tons of natural gas and oil that can be offered to the EU as an incentive - which is Putin's plan to prevent.

When the Ukraine dumped Putin's puppet in 2014 because of the permeation of Kremlin lackeys and leaned toward the EU, Putin had to block it. Just like when Georgia applied to the EU as well as Moldova.

As long as Russia had an "enclave" in a particular nation, the EU (or NATO) wasn't going to accept that country's application (for obvious reasons).

We've read that Russian troops are made up mostly of conscripts from Russian vassal states and non cosmopolitan Russia. Should Georgia decide secede from the RU, I wonder what percentage of Russian troops in Ukraine might change sides.

We've read that Russian troops are made up mostly of conscripts from Russian vassal states and non cosmopolitan Russia. Should Georgia decide secede from the RU, I wonder what percentage of Russian troops in Ukraine might change sides.
Here's a good artical about Georgia's sentiments regarding the war and their volunteer Legion in Ukraine.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has thrown down the gauntlet for the U.S. and allies to help Kyiv bring an end to Russia's war by December.

The imperative is to stop the bloodshed. Ukrainian forces are suffering as many as 200 casualties per day, and Russian artillery has killed dozens of civilians in recent attacks, with hundreds more injured.

But Zelensky is also under pressure to keep the focus and support of the U.S. and Europe, allies that are being pulled away by domestic crises, including worsening inflation, exorbitant energy prices and fears of a global recession.

Shifting political dynamics are also playing into Zelensky's calculus.

Boris Johnson has promised the strong support of the United Kingdom despite his recent resignation as prime minister. In Italy, pro-Europe Prime Minister Mario Draghi is under attack over a debt crisis in the country.

And in the U.S., Republicans are set to make gains in the November midterms, potentially strengthening a small but provocative group of GOP lawmakers who criticize America's support for Ukraine.

Under these pressures, Zelensky is setting a six-month timeline to get as many heavy weapons to the country as possible and push back Russian forces battling low morale and exhausted manpower.

"We can achieve a lot of things before the end of the year and we can stop this war," Zelensky said in an interview with CNN last week.

"We are going to fight for every inch of our territory. It's clear that we can't get it all back," he said.

There's quite a bit more of the article to read, but I stopped my selection where I did to highlight what may be an implication or signal that Ukraine would be willing to negotiate away some territory. I presume he means accepting the loss of Crimea?

This is why Russia cannot be allowed to win.

Artem Dmitriev gives the last salute to his daughter Liza, 4-year-old girl killed by Russian attack, in Vinnytsia, Ukraine, Sunday, July 17, 2022. Wearing a blue denim jacket with flowers, Liza was among 23 people killed, including two boys aged 7 and 8, in Thursday's missile strike in Vinnytsia. Her mother, Iryna Dmytrieva, was among the scores injured. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)
ASSOCIATED PRESS

There's talk also of declaring Russia a state sponsor of terrorism, which has pros and cons, apparently.

The main pro seems to be that it will induce even more sanctions by calling a spade a spade.

The main con seems to be that it will freeze all overseas Russian currency holdings, meaning they won't be available as a bargaining chip, or to be used helping to reconstruct Ukraine.

The SU-25's 30mm has 250 rounds.

The A-10's 30mm has nearly 1,200.

So...which one was said to be over rated?

Don't forget the GAU-8 also has a much higher fire rate so needs to carry more. Either way though, people need to get over this almost phallic-like attraction to the A-10 and its gun. The fact remains that in a contested environment with both fighters and modern air defence systems (SAMs and guns), the A-10 would suffer very high losses.

As would any ground attack aircraft, so who cares.

I don't think any infantry or armor units that are engaging the enemy would agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread