AM-38

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Laurelix

Airman 1st Class
Jun 13, 2016
Does anyone have power curve of this engine?
The 2 vital things I need to find out is the military power at Sea Level at Military Power and also at WEP.

Does anyone have power curve of this engine?
The 2 vital things I need to find out is the military power at Sea Level at Military Power and also at WEP.

Learning how to say 'thank you' might help you big time in this and other endeavors.

You're welcome.
One thing to note - there is no such thing as 'military power' for piston engines that are not of American origin. Soviets, for example, used terms 'nominal power' (my understanding is that is a 30 minute limit) and 'forsazh' ('forced regime' - not all engines were equally capable to do it - equivalent of the 'war emergency power' in US parlance). The 'take off regime' was another setting and usually included both over-revving and over-boosting vs. nominal power setting.
Some Mikulin engines were using take-off revs and boost also for combat - basically, emergency power. That gave another 200-250 HP vs. nominal power at sea level; less above 1km altitude.
Note that US 'war emergency power' involved just over-boosting, not over-revving.

I'd point you at this thread: link. There are tables and graphs there, translated, and spread in several posts.
Please note that AM-38 was not allowed for emergency power, at least not by manufacturer. The AM-38F was, and AM-42 was.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread