American aircraft gun sight question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldGeezer

Airman 1st Class
Dec 11, 2020
I'm looking for info on something called a "L.A.B. 211C-5-26" gun sight that I noticed on a mid-WW2 drawing for an US Army plane but I can't find out anything about it. The drawing isn't the best quality, the "C" might be a "G" or even an "O" or a "U" or a "0".

1610033185900.png

Those numbers may just be the manufacturers part numbers and not associated with the AAF model number.
Can we see the drawing? What kind of plane was it? A bit more info. would help.

Last edited:
LAB sounds like the company spec for a standard part which some companies used.

I am guessing Lockheed Aircraft Burbank as Lockheed gave all AN rivets and plumbing and other standard parts Lockheed numbers - usually LS numbers but I have seen other prefixes.

If you identify the aircraft make, model and submodel members can probably identify the sight

There was a research lab know as the "L.A.B." in New Jersey during WWII. I am not sure who was responsible for the facility, but I think it was either a GE or an Edison plant (I believe they were part of the same corporation by WWII?). This L.A.B. was given responsibility for the development of the N-7 reflector gunsight (a detail improved N-3) around 1942. I think it also aided in the adaptation/development of the US variant of the UK GGS Mk IIC gyro gunsight.

Sorry all, been off trying to make a part for my old car - whole separate set of problems. The aircraft in question for the gunsight is an early McDonnell Aircraft Company product, not Lockheed. I like the info on the L.A.B. / N-7 connection, I'll try to chase that down a bit. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back