Ammunition for MG-FF (not MG-FF/M)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Segment

Airman
Oct 29, 2012
Does anyone have any information on ammunition for the MG-FF (not MG-FF/M) cannon. I know MG-FF used 134g projectile. And i found this document. But i need more info about projectiles (scheme, filling weight, dimesions).

What is the difference between MG-FF and MG-FFM?

The MG FF/M was modified to fire the much lighter 92g "Minengeschoss" round that had about 4-5 times as much HE content as the ordinary high explosive rounds up to that point (18g vs 4g). This however required a modification of the recoil mechanism which in turned meant that the older 134g rounds could not be used without damaging the gun. Therefore new, lighter (mostly 115-117g) rounds were manufactured for use with the FF/M cannon.

I too would be highly interested in a detailed breakdown of the ammunition of the older MG FF, one mostly stumbles over information about the FF/M on the internet. I did find a paragraph though that stated that the FF only fired high explosive shells, dunno if that's actually true though.

I have British data on two pieces of ammunition in the weight range Karaya1 specified:

HE/T (SD) - fuze AZ1501 - yellow body, black band above driving band - 4g PETN/wax - 134.8g projectile - 14.6g propellant - bright yellow trace - 200.5g cartridge
HE/T (SD) - fuze AZ5045 - unpainted body, white band above driving band - 3.2g PETN/wax - 134.8g projectile - 14.6g propellant - bright white trace - 200.5g cartridge

EDIT: whoops, mislabeled cartridge weight as another projectile weight

Last edited:
Btw I had a short look at the document provided by Segment at the start of the thread and it seems to be the case that there were only 3 types of rounds for the "old" MG FF cannon

Sprenggranatpatrone L-Spur-FF (i.e. High explosive round Tracer FF)

and the

Sprenggranatpatrone L-Spur-Üb.-FF (i.e. High explosive round Tracer Practice FF)

as well as the

Sprenggranatpatrone Üb.-FF (i.e. High explosive round Practice FF)

Based on what the document says it seems that the MG FF was loaded down with a mix of the first two rounds in the ratio of 1:4 and the last type of round was ONLY used for adjusting the cannon and checking up on its proper functioning. The document further states that the practice shells did not have neither detonator nor HE filler so they basically acted as "full rounds" (i.e AP) and had the exact same ballistic properties as the non-practice round.

Last edited:
I have British data on two pieces of ammunition in the weight range Karaya1 specified:

HE/T (SD) - fuze AZ1501 - yellow body, black band above driving band - 4g PETN/wax - 134.8g projectile - 14.6g propellant - bright yellow trace - 200.5g projectile
HE/T (SD) - fuze AZ5045 - unpainted body, white band above driving band - 3.2g PETN/wax - 134.8g projectile - 14.6g propellant - bright white trace - 200.5g projectile

Very good. Can you provide a link to the source of this information? Or scan a document?

Handbook of Enemy Ammunition - Pamphlet No.5: German Small Arms Ammunition, Grenades and Demolition Charges
The War Office, 20 January, 1943

EDIT: fixed a typo in data post above

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back