Another aircraft part found on Norfolk beach.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Invictaman

Airman
Oct 14, 2018
Below are a couple of photos of what I believe is part of a wing rib, it is made of thick gauge Aluminium with large rivets in evidence. On it is crudely stamped 'P 61', can anyone tell me if this will tell us if it is German, British or American? Could this even identify the aircraft a lot to ask i know! The aluminium is about 4 mm thick, the shorter end is 44 mm the widest end is 120 mm (in complete of course) and the angle is about 45 degrees. Could it be a fighter or larger aircraft? Any information would be gratefully appreciated as this will be a great addition to my collection, I had a great deal of help on my last post so much appreciated.
IMG_20190209_153507.jpg

Below are a couple of photos of what I believe is part of a wing rib, it is made of thick gauge Aluminium with large rivets in evidence. On it is crudely stamped 'P 61', can anyone tell me if this will tell us if it is German, British or American? Could this even identify the aircraft a lot to ask i know! The aluminium is about 4 mm thick, the shorter end is 44 mm the widest end is 120 mm (in complete of course) and the angle is about 45 degrees. Could it be a fighter or larger aircraft? Any information would be gratefully appreciated as this will be a great addition to my collection, I had a great deal of help on my last post so much appreciated.View attachment 528756
i
Resp:
Where was the piece found?

Below are a couple of photos of what I believe is part of a wing rib, it is made of thick gauge Aluminium with large rivets in evidence. On it is crudely stamped 'P 61', can anyone tell me if this will tell us if it is German, British or American? Could this even identify the aircraft a lot to ask i know! The aluminium is about 4 mm thick, the shorter end is 44 mm the widest end is 120 mm (in complete of course) and the angle is about 45 degrees. Could it be a fighter or larger aircraft? Any information would be gratefully appreciated as this will be a great addition to my collection, I had a great deal of help on my last post so much appreciated.View attachment 528756
if you measure the distance between the rivets . centre to centre , if its german it will be a metric size brit/u.s. if imperial size

if you measure the distance between the rivets . centre to centre , if its german it will be a metric size brit/u.s. if imperial size

Not necessarily.
Many US, and probably Brit, blueprints just require x rivets equally spaced over y inches and the spacing could end up being too close to a common metric measurement to be eyeball measured. Also common spacings are often almost perfect metric sizes - 9/16 is so close to14 mm as does not matter unless you are using a micrometer, etc
Even removing the rivet and measuring the hole can be misleading as the rivet expands during installation so the hole size grows and that growth varies with both the rivet material and the structures material.

Unfortunately I do not physically recognize this part and the information supplied is not sufficient for me to make any suggestions but others may recognize it. If you find other parts nearby they may provide more clues

Not necessarily.
Many US, and probably Brit, blueprints just require x rivets equally spaced over y inches and the spacing could end up being too close to a common metric measurement to be eyeball measured. Also common spacings are often almost perfect metric sizes - 9/16 is so close to14 mm as does not matter unless you are using a micrometer, etc
Even removing the rivet and measuring the hole can be misleading as the rivet expands during installation so the hole size grows and that growth varies with both the rivet material and the structures material.

Unfortunately I do not physically recognize this part and the information supplied is not sufficient for me to make any suggestions but others may recognize it. If you find other parts nearby they may provide more clues
Not necessarily.

Not necessarily.

here is another picture if that helps.
IMG_20190209_153517.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back