Antonov-2

Discussion in 'Other Mechanical Systems Tech.' started by dtpeng, Nov 9, 2011.

1. dtpeng

dtpeng New Member

In this picture, what function for the two tubes ?
    1 is generator blast tube ?
    2 is air pump blast tube ?
    Anyone has An-2 Maintenance Manual (In English 21_105338_47b7930d92e88a8.jpg

2. Ivan1GFP

Ivan1GFP Member

Cabin / Cockpit heater?

- Ivan.

3. YakMan

YakMan New Member

I rebuild Russian radial engines
    Hi,
    I will need to check but on our Yak-11, one supplies cold air to the generator and the other cold air to the magnetos, both of which get very hot and suffer as a result. The Yak-11 uses a Shvetsov ASh-21 seven-cylinder radial, the An-2 (as you know) an ASh-62IR nine-cylinder radial of very similar design and layout to the ASh-21. I have manuals for this aircraft (An-2) and will have a look.
    Cheers,
    John

4. YakMan

YakMan New Member

I rebuild Russian radial engines
    Hi dtpeng!
    I have looked all through the An-2 manuals and it doesn't show or specifically mention either of these intakes however the generator definitely has a cold air duct on the rear end which on our Yak-11 is fed cold air from an intake in the cowling EXACTLY like No.1 above. I have seen a couple of pictures of an undressed ASh-62 engine and intake No.2 goes into a small cowling around the exhaust. I am pretty sure this is not the heat exchanger used for cabin heating which I think is the intake duct in the white feature you can see just in front of the exhaust pipe. I think it is a warm air feature for something behind the engine, perhaps carb heating? I am not sure about this because the Yak-11 is injection not carburettor. I am afraid you will need to find someone who knows more about An-2s! Sorry! John