Any info about RAAF S/L Stan Galton?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello, you experts out there! I have just bought a 1:72 Dragon Wings diecast model of a RAAF Spitifire MK Vc flown by Sq. Ld Stan Galton. I´ve been looking for some online info about him, but so far I did not find anything. Does anybody there know anything about this Aussie pilot? Was he envolved in any dogfight? Got any victory? As fas as I know this Spitfire (called "Jen III" after his wife) had a short life, being lost after a crash or something.
I´d appreciate any help on that.

Attachments

• jenIII.jpg
    jenIII.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 495
G'day Aramis, I don't have much about Galtons career except that he commanded 82 and 86 squadrons (Kittyhawks) and later 79 sqn (Spitfires). The serial on your Spitfire is incorrect, it should be A58-252, A58-262 never existed!

No worries mate! It is a nice looking model, I have a P40M and decals for Jen1 which was his aircraft in 86 sqn that I plan on doing sometime down the track. :cool:

Attachments

• 016859.jpg
    016859.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 509
  • decal.jpg
    decal.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 607
Stan Galton was the S/L of 86 Squadron when my fathers' cousin was with them flying P40M and P40N's. I went to the last two reunions that were held during the mid 1990's and met quite a few of the former pilots and ground staff. I asked about him and they all said as a S/L he was a no BS type of guy. No funny stories but was pretty well respected. After the war he was killed in a flying accident. (Late 40's I think it was) The aircraft type was an Oxford Airspeed. I did see a printed article about it 20 odd years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back