Any info on this Fairey 4 engined bomber design?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dinger

Airman 1st Class
Jun 8, 2015
UK
www.dingeraviation.net
Hoping someone out there has a bit more info on this...

No, its not a Lancaster - Its a design study from Fairey. I was sent it by the late ID Huntley, font of knowledge on all things Fairey ( I believe he was Fairey's archivist ) who was a prolific writer of articles about camouflage and colour schemes from the 70s through to the early 2000s. The story he told about it goes like this. With the success of the Fairey long-range monoplane, CR Fairey schemed a 6 stage scheme to take its basic design and improve it - progressively adding first a second engine, then retracting undercarriage etc until ending up with this "6th Stage" bomber. This was apparently written up in a printed brochure and with lantern slides (the PowerPoint of the day) CR Fairey tried to sell the program to the Air Ministry and the government in a series of lectures. The program as a whole obviously never got adopted but either the "Stage2" or "Stage3" design ended up being produced as the Fairey Hendon two-engined monoplane bomber. The Hendon suffered from a 4-year delay being ordered by the Air Ministry that rendered it obsolete before it entered service. This four-engined design looks pretty advanced at first glance but you have to realise it is not a stressed-wing design but instead used the internally-braced wing used on the LR Monoplane and Hendon. Although the internal skeleton was metal the whole of the wing and most of the fuselage would have been covered in fabric. The turrets are crude manual- powered ones with just single Lewis guns. The cockpit is offset (like that of the Hendon). Like the Hendon it would not have had flaps, so would have had a very high landing speed for the time (something that was always a problem with the Hendon). I presume the engines would have been Napier Lions when originally designed (but probably been changed for RR Kestrels by the time it got to production, like the Hendon). It had a paltry bombload by WW2 bomber standards, only 2,500 LBs. Range reckoned as 1,500 miles. - Both those last figures are from the only place I can find any mention of it, an article on the Hendon in the January 1974 edition of Aircraft Illustrated magazine by ID Huntley himself (where the same diagram is featured). No idea of expected speed. I've got a big selection of "secret project" type books on British subjects but I've never seen any mention of it in any of them. It is not mentioned in Putnam's "Fairey Aircraft" (at least not in the edition I've got)- Has anyone out there ever come across this design before? - Could point me towards any publication that mentions it? - Anyone got any details of this "six-stage" program and the designs that filled in the gaps between the LR Monoplane and this one? - I suppose its too much to hope that a copy of the "brochure" still exists somewhere. Any information gratefully received.

These guys might be able to help...Secret Projects Forum I went through this book...

...and all it had for a Fairey 4-engine bomber was this.

Cheers, I've got most of Tony Buttler's books and have a lot of his articles from Aeromilitaria magazine, but I've never seen any mention of this particular project. It would only be natural for the Hendon to look like the "Stage 6" bomber since (as I understand my reading of ID Huntley's article in the 1974 Aircraft Illustrated magazine) the Hendon would have represented either "Stage2" or "Stage3" of progressively improving the Fairey LR Monoplane into a 4 engined night bomber. I'll take up your suggestion of the Secret Projects Forum. I'm planning an article on the Stage 6 bomber, hence the request for any other information that is out there. Thanks!

Here's a better photo of that peculiar exhaust on the Prototype Hendon.

You have to be a bit careful when looking at pictures of the Hendon. The first prototype (K1695) flew for the first time in November 1930 powered by Bristol Jupiter radial engines. Because the Hendon did not have flaps its landing speed was very high (for the time) and a certain amount of "float" meant pilots had difficulty getting it to land at all. So it was no surprise when the prototype overshot and crashed in March 1931. It was rebuilt with RR Kestrels and had some major changes to the structure. The RAF did not order it into production (at the time there was no need, Europe was at peace and the economic crash meant Treasury purse-strings were tight). But Fairey kept improving the design and the prototype was extensively modified a number of times. - In particular various radiator, oil cooler and exhaust layouts were tried out, so there is no definitive layout of the prototype, almost all the photos of it are different in some way. Hitler came to power in 1933 and in 1934 the Air Ministry blew the dust off the Hendon file, paid Fairey to modernise the prototype and after another service trial it was ordered into production for the RAF, as the Hendon Mk II with an enclosed cockpit for the pilot, manually rotated turret enclosure for the front gunner, more powerful RR Kestrel VI engines and three-blade fixed-pitch metal propellers. Hendons were to be built at a new Factory at Stockport, and at first, it was thought that a production run of hundreds would take place. But it was already evident that the Hendon was already obsolescent compared with the latest stressed-skin designs and so in the end, only 14 were produced, equipping only one Squadron (No 38, later No 15). Some had an extended tandem cockpit with dual controls for pilot training. The prototype was also brought up to full-production Mk II standard as far as possible. The first Hendon to be handed over to No 38 squadron arrived in November 1936, six years after the first flight of the prototype - Some sort of record for aircraft of that time (quite quick by F-35 standards!)

Above - production Hendon Mk II - Note the design of the exhausts is different again. Also, note three-blade fixed-pitch metal propellers. This seems to be one of the Hendons with the extended "tandem" cockpits meant for pilot training. - In 1938 two RAF groundcrew thought they would take a Hendon for a "spin". With absolutely no pilot training they quickly came a cropper when both tried to control the aircraft at the same time. At 150 ft one of them pulled the throttles closed and the Hendon stalled and crashed. - The result, one broken Hendon and two 'erks each with a years detention in one of her majesty's "glasshouses".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread