Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stubendorf Luftwaffe Izbicko Polen Opole Strzelce Tag der Wehrmacht

1710676918630.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Stubendorf Luftwaffe Izbicko Polen Opole Strzelce Tag der Wehrmacht

View attachment 769138

I was curious why the Stubendorf ( Izbicko ).The correct name should be the Fliegerhorst Stubendorf I. The airfield was located south of Stubendorf (Izbicko) and Nakel (Nakło) in Ottmütz (Otmice). The aerodrome was used by the Luftflotte 4 Südost in 1939. The Ar-96 were used by the Verbindungsstaffel 63 in 1941 and SG 111 in 1943-1945. Interesting thing is that after the war in 1945 to 1952 there were three attempts to escape form Poland to Austria and West Germany. Unfortunately all of them met with little success.
But there were other airfields at the area. The Flugplatz Neudorf ( Nowa Wieś - today part of Opole ), Gross Strehlitz ( Strzelce Opolskie ), Ottmuth ( Krapkowice-Otmęt ), Nieder-Ellguth ( Ligota Dolna ), Schlosswalden ( Laskowice Wielkie ) and Groß Stein ( Kamień Śląski ) nearby. The Fliegerhorst Groß Stein was the operational airbase for the I./ZG 2 equipped with the Bf 109D-1 during the attack on Poland in 1939. Later the airbase was used occasionally. In the mid of the 1944 there was based the 3. NSGr. 1. In 1945 the airbase was capured by the soviets and was used by them until 1971. Then the airfield was taken over by the Polish Airforce and used as the reserve aerodrome. Personally, I know the airfield because I was there while being a cadet and was getting my navigator's training with the 39th Fighter Regiment equipped with the MiG-21. Memories, memories .... :)

PS. I have found out the pic with the Ar 96 is actually a postcard that was sent by the German pilots from the Fliegerhorst Stubendorf I ( Ottmütz - Otmice airfield ) to their families during the war. IMHO the pic above could have been taken at the aerodrome on a such day just seen below ...

Lotnisko_Otmice_248916_Fotopolska-Eu.jpg

Lotnisko_Otmice_1922073_Fotopolska-Eu.jpg

Otmice_Lotnisko_Otmice_.jpg

the source: Otmice - Lotnisko Otmice - stare zdjęcia, mapa

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back