Armour Plate for Avro Lancaster

TheDigger

Recruit
1
1
Joined
Jul 19, 2026
Hello, my name is Louis. I'm researching an Avro Lancaster Mk.IIIb that crashed near my home in June 1944. I've found quite a few parts, but I'm not sure how to identify them. I also found a very heavy metal plate with a distinctive shape, which I'll attach a photo of. Could it be an armour plate?

IMG_1625.jpeg

IMG_1626.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Louis

Great find!

That's almost certainly one of the outer plates from the FN.50 mid-upper turret fitted to the Lancaster, the shape and mounting bracket seem to match up really well.


fn.50.armor.png




Luckily, the Germans meticulously documented a lot of enemy armor plates. If it measures around 10 x 11.8 x 0.37 inches (or 253 x 300 x 9.5 mm), then that pretty much confirms it.


RL_3_2499_0410.jpg
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back