AT-4 Injury

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

102first_hussars

Tech Sergeant
Oct 3, 2005
Edmonton,Alberta
We were in Waynerite Alta training with foriegn (and our own) weapons mainly Anti-tank weapons like the "Charlie G" (gustav) RPG's, SMAAW (my personel favorite), and the AT-4

Now i feel pretty stupid saying this, but i guess we didnt properly brief the men whom most of them are pretty new, on some of the weapons.

I guess we should have said this

1. the back blast is huge

2. Stay Out in the Open-range when firing the the Bofors AT-4 ( but we didnt)

Now we have this concrete pillboxes that we call "bud", its small an confined, it overlooks from a high ground perspective of a gravel road where we can simulate a convoy ambush, now we all took turns going up to the "Bud" firing the whole variety, the first man to fire the AT-4, was found on the ground immediately following, snorting air out his sinus HE HAD A TEXTBOOK CONCUSSION, he also had symtoms of shell shock too, now when i saw him he was bleeding out his nose and his right ear ( so his ear drum must have burst) so we got the Signaler to call in an evacuation, BUT THE GRIFFONS WERE NOT IN WAINRITE, they were in Drumhellarfor another training exercise, wchich is 4 hours South of WAINRIGHT, we were 45 minutes from our compound, hes didnt seem critical so we didnt panic and we drove him back in a G-Wagon

But no the Doctors got a few X-rays, and he had some internal bleeding from the concussive shock, mainly in his chest area.

But that freaked us all out, it was a million times worse then we thought

So the odd shiver runs down my back now

Now i feel pretty stupid saying this, but i guess we didnt properly brief the men whom most of them are pretty new
Not only did u not brief or train ur men correctly, u didnt brief or train urself or the other Senior Enlisted, if that is infact what u are...

That in and of itself is deriliction of duty... U and the others who were to have supposedly briefed this newbie are directly responsible for said newbies injuries....

U should be freaked out....

Wainwright to Drumheller is not that far away especially as the crow flies at 120 knots but why not call a base rescue bird out of Cold Lake its less then an hours flight and its on standby 24/7. And where were the real troops who monitor you

Not only did u not brief or train ur men correctly, u didnt brief or train urself or the other Senior Enlisted, if that is infact what u are...

That in and of itself is deriliction of duty... U and the others who were to have supposedly briefed this newbie are directly responsible for said newbies injuries....

U should be freaked out....

Very true. You can't just hand someone a weapon and say have fun. We got EXTENSIVE briefs, to the point that made you almost laugh, before our field firing exercises. Whenever one of your men gets hurt, it is the leadership's fault - someone should be getting a negative report on their record if what you say is true about the lack of training.

Yeah, we always got well and truely briefed not only about the actual live fire exercise but safety areas, who the safety officers are, actions in case a fire breaks out, UXO etc. But to even get to the range we had to pass all weapon handling drills, IA's, DOWR etc. How come you guys don't have an ambulance on standby? Every range shoot done in the Australian Army always has an Ambo and medics sitting around incase of an emergency all in contact with the range supervisors by radio.

Yeah, we always got well and truely briefed not only about the actual live fire exercise but safety areas, who the safety officers are, actions in case a fire breaks out, UXO etc. But to even get to the range we had to pass all weapon handling drills, IA's, DOWR etc. How come you guys don't have an ambulance on standby? Every range shoot done in the Australian Army always has an Ambo and medics sitting around incase of an emergency all in contact with the range supervisors by radio.
Because it isn't true we do all the same drills as any other military
. I remember weapons drill was always thorough aimed at the lowest common denominator I guess we'll have to simpifly it more:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back