Aussies serving in USAAF Sqns SW Pacific

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jollygreenslugg, great to read about Maurice Carse, he was a Flying Officer at the time of the Battle of the Bismack Sea when flying with Bob Chatt. The aircraft they flew was B-25C-1 #088 "CHATTER BOX", they attacked the 2300 ton Japanese destroyer DD IJN Arashio, in a head on attack dropped 4 x 500lb bombs 3 hits and one near miss , 2 blew the bow off the ship and one hit and destroyed the bridge killing most officers on board, the ship sunk several hrs latter.
The book "Battle of The Bismarck Sea" by Lex McAuley covers the airbattle quite well and has photos of Maurice Carse , Bob Chatt and CHATTER BOX supplied by Maurice Carse, -did Maurice Carse have any relatives that got his thing when died in 2002 , if he did his medals photos etc whould be a fine display at somewere like the RAAF museum or the Australian War memorial?
I am also trying to find the service history of Captain Bob Chatt , Maurice Carse's a/c commander, I can find no mention of him after apr 43 and can't find him on casualty reports either.

Last edited:
G'day Sydhuey,

I was involved with Carsie's personal effects after he died. Other than a photo album and a painting, he had no wartime memorabilia. He had gone to study for the priesthood by the time that the DFC was gazetted and awarded in 1948, and it appears that he never picked it up. He told me that it took two years of not looking up when he heard a plane to get it out of his system. It's interesting that he supplied photos for the book in that he didn't talk intimately about himself but was happy to discuss more general aspects of his service.

Interestingly enough, his brother Hubert was the captain of the MV Krait, which was used to infiltrate Singapore Harbour for Z Force's attack in September 1943. Better known as Operation Jaywick, this was an important event in Australia's military history. Carsie never mentioned this fact. He did tell the story of being about three years old when his older brother came home from the repatriation hospital after being badly wounded in World War One. His brother's early death had a great impact on him.

Thanks for the info you've provided. I was aware of some of it, and it fills a gap. The following pic of Chatt and later crew in front of "Chatter Box" may have been the one published.

Chattandthebox.jpg

A picture of Carsie;

Chattanda.jpg

A small pic of a painting. I'd love to find a copy;

chatterbox.jpg

I'm currently painting up an A-2 jacket with a representation of the nose art, and will paint a silhouette of Arashio along with a bomb tally. It's interesting that the aeroplane crashed only weeks later and the wreckage still exists.

The A-2, very much a work in progress;

CB.jpg

Carsie was survived by a niece. I'll see if I can find her details.

A fascinating discussion, thank you.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,
thanks for that info, The print of "Chatter Box" and Arashio is a Jack Fellows painting and a print is available from his website for $200, Artist Jack Fellows Official Website: Aviation Art Original Oil Paintings Limited Edition Prints, hope that helps, have also attached the photos from the book by Lex Mcauley credited to Maurice, one is a cropped shot of Chatter Box's crew cropped to the 2 pilots and others of the aircraft and a relaxed photo of Bob Chatt,
also do you know what happened to Bob Chatt and were and when did Chatter Box crash?

Attachments

• Battle Bismarck sea.JPG
    Battle Bismarck sea.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Battle Bismarck sea 2.JPG
    Battle Bismarck sea 2.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
That Davidson was co-pilot of the Sleepy Time Gal B-24. So I have another plane to build.

**Eduard B-25 is on order
Picture attached is Not the Davidson crew, but is the plane in the background.

**This is what I have found for Stuart.

RAAF PERSONNEL SERVING ON ATTACHMENT IN ROYAL AIR FORCE SQUADRONS AND SUPPORT UNITS IN WORLD WAR 2 AND MISSING WITH NO KNOWN GRAVE.

413969 Warrant Officer DAVIDSON, Stuart Hugh
Source: NAA : A705, 166/9/428.
Aircraft Type: Liberator Serial number: 42 – 110120
Radio call sign:
Unit: 530 Sqn USAAF
Summary:
On the night of 28 October 1944 Liberator 42-110120 of 530 Sqn, 380 Bomb Group USAAF, 5th Air Force, failed to return from a mission to Macassar, NEI. The aircraft took off from Darwin at 1751 hours, manned by a RAAF crew of eleven. The following sequence of messages was received by Ops room No 380 (B) Group :
281420Z No 3 out, Position 06.25S 120.50E course 120deg true.
281555Z 2 engines out, posn 0800S 123.35E.
281628Z Not likely to reach base. No 4 giving trouble. Preparing to ditch.
Darwin obtained a bearing of 340deg at 281604Z. Search ships and 4 B24's immediately began search, and B24's, B25's and Catalinas on subsequent days were unable to locate missing aircraft or crew.
Crew:
RAAF 408190 FO Harrison, A.L., Captain, (Pilot).
RAAF 413969 WO S.H.Davidson, 2nd Pilot.
RAAF 416078 Flt LT Cropley, A.A., Navigator.
RAAF 408590 FO O'Dea, D.J., Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.
RAAF 416861 WO K.L.J.Killen, Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.
RAAF 423587 Flt Sgt W.R.Barber, Navigator/Bombaimer.
RAAF 408448 Flt Sgt C.L.Wilken, Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.
RAAF 36474 Sgt S.H.Jamieson, Armament/Gunner.
RAAF 429432 Sgt J.E.Cook, Air Gunner.
RAAF 62526 Sgt W.J.Bird, Fitter 11A/Gunner.
RAAF 116993 LAC (Agt Flt Sgt) F.W.Anstey, Flight Engineer.
ARMY VX21828 Major Latrelle, H.R., AIF, Intel. Officer (Observer).
In 1949 it was recorded that the aircraft and crew were lost at sea.

Attachments

• qld89b.jpg
    qld89b.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
G'day folks

I didn't realise that I'd missed the replies on this thread until now. Sydhuey, thanks for your posting and info, it's much appreciated. Especially the clear shot of Carsie. I don't have any further details about Chatt, but I know a bloke who is involved with the 3rd Group association, so I'll ask him.

The reference to the crash of "Chaatter Box" can be found here;

Pacific Wrecks - B-25C-1 "El Diablo III / Chatter Box" Serial Number 41-13088

My flying jacket artwork is coming along, and I hope to complete it and post pics shortly.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
It's nice to hear others bring up the 380th... my father was a pilot in the 530th squadron. He just recently passed away... I just know he would have smiled from your comment.

RAAF crews flew many sorties with the 380th bomb group (b-24's) whilst we were building up our own Liberator squadrons, infact the whole 380th BG came under direct RAAF command, a feature I believe was unique during the war.

Did they make decals for Sleepy Time Gal? I was curious because I have found Double Trouble, the Red Ass, Golden Gator, She'Asta, Lucky Strike, Queen of the Strip and Angel in De'skies. Sleepy Time Gal would be nice to find??

That Davidson was co-pilot of the Sleepy Time Gal B-24. So I have another plane to build.

**Eduard B-25 is on order
Picture attached is Not the Davidson crew, but is the plane in the background.

**This is what I have found for Stuart.

RAAF PERSONNEL SERVING ON ATTACHMENT IN ROYAL AIR FORCE SQUADRONS AND SUPPORT UNITS IN WORLD WAR 2 AND MISSING WITH NO KNOWN GRAVE.

413969 Warrant Officer DAVIDSON, Stuart Hugh
Source: NAA : A705, 166/9/428.
Aircraft Type: Liberator Serial number: 42 – 110120
Radio call sign:
Unit: 530 Sqn USAAF
Summary:
On the night of 28 October 1944 Liberator 42-110120 of 530 Sqn, 380 Bomb Group USAAF, 5th Air Force, failed to return from a mission to Macassar, NEI. The aircraft took off from Darwin at 1751 hours, manned by a RAAF crew of eleven. The following sequence of messages was received by Ops room No 380 (B) Group :
281420Z No 3 out, Position 06.25S 120.50E course 120deg true.
281555Z 2 engines out, posn 0800S 123.35E.
281628Z Not likely to reach base. No 4 giving trouble. Preparing to ditch.
Darwin obtained a bearing of 340deg at 281604Z. Search ships and 4 B24's immediately began search, and B24's, B25's and Catalinas on subsequent days were unable to locate missing aircraft or crew.
Crew:
RAAF 408190 FO Harrison, A.L., Captain, (Pilot).
RAAF 413969 WO S.H.Davidson, 2nd Pilot.
RAAF 416078 Flt LT Cropley, A.A., Navigator.
RAAF 408590 FO O'Dea, D.J., Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.
RAAF 416861 WO K.L.J.Killen, Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.
RAAF 423587 Flt Sgt W.R.Barber, Navigator/Bombaimer.
RAAF 408448 Flt Sgt C.L.Wilken, Wireless Operator/Air Gunner.
RAAF 36474 Sgt S.H.Jamieson, Armament/Gunner.
RAAF 429432 Sgt J.E.Cook, Air Gunner.
RAAF 62526 Sgt W.J.Bird, Fitter 11A/Gunner.
RAAF 116993 LAC (Agt Flt Sgt) F.W.Anstey, Flight Engineer.
ARMY VX21828 Major Latrelle, H.R., AIF, Intel. Officer (Observer).
In 1949 it was recorded that the aircraft and crew were lost at sea.

G'day folks

I didn't realise that I'd missed the replies on this thread until now. Sydhuey, thanks for your posting and info, it's much appreciated. Especially the clear shot of Carsie. I don't have any further details about Chatt, but I know a bloke who is involved with the 3rd Group association, so I'll ask him.

My flying jacket artwork is coming along, and I hope to complete it and post pics shortly.

Cheers,
Matt

Hello! While I realize that I'm a few years late in responding to this thread, I'm Bob Chatt's granddaughter. After the war, my grandfather was stationed in Florida and then worked in the pentagon. Eventually, he retired and moved back to Nebraska to farm where he had four children who are all still living. Grandpa was awarded two Distinguished Flying Crosses--one for sinking the Japanese destroyer and a second for sinking a submarine. He was also awarded a medal from the Australian government for flying the Prime Minister to safety during an attack when he was stationed in Australia.

I recently opened up a bar/event space in Tekamah, Nebraska named the Chatterbox in Grandpa's honor. Please feel free to contact me for more information!

Cindy

G'day folks

Cheers,
Matt
Matt, after service with the 90th BG and after a posting back to Australia Maurice Carse flew A-20 Boston's with 22 Sqn , he was the wingman to the Co WC Emerton when he was shot down on 30 Jan 44 and witnessed the aircraft crash and explode, he then did his final tour on B-24's out of Darwin, no wonder he became a priest with what he saw , Battle of Bismarck Sea on US B-25's a tour on RAAF A-20 Boston's including watching the CO shot down then finishing the war on B-24's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back