Autonomous Cargo Drones for FedEx

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Our Boy Elroy is at it again! From Avweb:

"FedEx says it will start testing an autonomous hybrid eVTOL that can carry up to 500 pounds as far as 300 miles. The company said the trials with the Elroy Chaparral will start in 2023 and begin the process of getting certification for pilotless delivery. "We look forward to continued testing and learning throughout our collaboration with Elroy Air," said FedEx senior VP Joe Stephens. The Chaparral has eight rotors, four of which rotate to provide forward thrust after a vertical takeoff. An engine and generator in the fuselage provide power for the individual electric motors spinning the rotors, making the 300-mile range possible."

"Elroy VP Kofi Asante said aircraft like the Chaparral have the potential to fundamentally change the package delivery business. "When you're not limited by challenging infrastructure, traffic or airports, logistics can reach more people, faster than ever before," Asante said. "We look forward to working together to create a new future for how we get goods to people around the world." FedEx has ordered 100 Chaparrals and Elroy says it has about 500 aircraft sold, including 150 to Mesa Airlines."

ElroyCargoDrone.jpg

See no reason why we can't send one of those to pick up downed aircrew in hostile territory. Use the V-22's just for fire support and minimize the additional exposure that could cost us additional aircrew. If I had been asked what to bid for that monstrosity of a SAR chopper to replace the HH-53, I would have recommended multiple choppers about the size of an OH-58, the number launched to depend on the mission requirement, with only one that was manned.

I guess it could work from hub to rural, but I'm not thinking these thing flying over cities is a good idea. And even for rural deliveries, you better have some good AI to land on an even patch of ground.

I guess it could work from hub to rural, but I'm not thinking these thing flying over cities is a good idea. And even for rural deliveries, you better have some good AI to land on an even patch of ground.
Yeah, my place has a considerable amount of Oak and Bull Pine on it, there's only two spots (besides the house or shop rooftop) where a small drone can come and go.

My drone does not like to T/O or land in the two above mentioned spots and I have to do a "potential obstruction" over-ride each time.

Shucks, they can just wrap it well in styrofoam and air bags and "Bombs Awaaaaay!" But in reality since it will be hauling 500 lb in that baggage pod and there does not seem to be provisions for "multiple ejector racks" looks like they will not be using it to deliver to individual customers but rather to smaller distribution centers. Now, does that mean they can use electric powered trucks for customer delivery, deployed from more numerous but smaller but distribution centers? Maybe. That pizza outfit is using autonomous delivery vehicles, and that may be an option, too.

it does not sounds probable, it will require combustion engine with at least 400hp and power generator with incredible current output to feed electric motors in short words- freaking heavy

it does not sounds probable, it will require combustion engine with at least 400hp and power generator with incredible current output to feed electric motors in short words- freaking heavy
Just remember, it will be VERY short ranged by our usual standards. I would not get in my Ercoupe and fly it if it had so little fuel on board as equivalent to the endurance of those things. Of course, at least electric propulsion does not have the unporting problems of gasoline powered vehicles.

Just remember, it will be VERY short ranged by our usual standards. I would not get in my Ercoupe and fly it if it had so little fuel on board as equivalent to the endurance of those things. Of course, at least electric propulsion does not have the unporting problems of gasoline powered vehicles.
what particular problems you have in mind? last 120 years internal combustion engines works just fine. Right now We are trying to replace it with some kind of substitute which is good enough only for very small market niche with sacrificing huge chunk of safety procedures and standards not mentioning system efficiency. If it will work for us? - i'm in doubts but time will clarify.

You try to fly my Ercoupe with only 30 min of fuel on board and I am pretty sure the engine will quit when you turn crosswind if it does not quit during climbout, when the fuel sloshes and unports the feed line from the nose tank to the engine. Of course, when straight and level again it will start running again, but it is not something to look forward to.

You try to fly my Ercoupe with only 30 min of fuel on board and I am pretty sure the engine will quit when you turn crosswind if it does not quit during climbout, when the fuel sloshes and unports the feed line from the nose tank to the engine. Of course, when straight and level again it will start running again, but it is not something to look forward to.
it does mean your drone fuel system has flaw in it's design not that is anything wrong with its engine, if you will design loose contact for electrical propulsion result will be the same... if you will try to replace your "faulty" propulsion system based on combustion engine with electrical equivalent and have the same endurance your drone will safely stay on ground because will be too heavy to fly....

No one would build an aircraft with a 30 min endurance that uses an IC engine because liquid fuel provides about 6 times as much energy per cubic foot as compared to batteries.

No one would build a electrically powered drone capable of carrying 500 lab of cargo with a 4 hour endurance because it would not be able to leave the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back