Autonomous drones may have attacked humans for the first time ever

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True. I was surprised to recently learn that some WW2 aircraft had computers onboard for gunnery and bombadiers.

"Greg's Planes and Automobiles", Youtube. Fantastic channel.
If you ever want to blow your mind, look into the wiring, relays, and electro-mechanical gearing of the B-29s central fire control system or for a slightly less intense headache check into the A-26 Intruder's, only two turrets and one gunner. It is truly amazing what was done with those older devices.
In another life, I worked with telecom central office switch equipment and remember even into the 1990s, still occasionally running into the first generation switches, using the same component technology as what I described in the B-29 fire control system. These computers signaled the end of the old switchboard operator (old boys or us Hee Haw fans will remember the cord-board operators who btw rarely looked like the girl on Hee Haw lol) but did create a couple of new jobs when it was discovered that those old relays would sometimes stick usually in the closed position, preventing the circuit from being used for another call. Ma Bell being the boss and last word on all things telecom, put off redesigning the system and instead hired an attendant on site to unstick the relay switch by tapping it, 😂 as one of their primary duties.. those were the good ol' days..

The USS Missouri fire control computer was/is the world's largest mechanical computer occupying a complete compartment. It has been decades since I read that, so members with more naval knowledge jump in.

The USS Missouri fire control computer was/is the world's largest mechanical computer occupying a complete compartment. It has been decades since I read that, so members with more naval knowledge jump in.

No answer to your question here, but this vid from the USS New Jersey Museum is informative all the same. I like this channel an awful lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back