AvPix unlimited

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The black finish was used in Korea and kept stateside several years. I remember when LAANG was flying these in 1955 at Lakefront airport. I found out from a volunteer at the museum who had been in Civil Air Patrol at the airport at the time, the Guard had only four pilots qualified on the B-26. Before the current long runway was built, the longest runway started near the National Guard hanger and I had watched the B-26s turn onto the runway toward the numbers, taxi to to the end of the concrete do a 180 run up the engines with brakes locked, release brakes and I always felt they retracted the L/G to avoid hitting the seawall. At the time the unit was the 122nd Light Bombardment.

More from LA ANG Jackson Barracks display:

F-15A-7-MC 73-0086 msn 0024/A020

F-100D -65-NA 56-3020 msn 235-118

F-86D-40-NA 52-3747 msn NA190-1/300
The first jet type for LA ANG. I saw the first delivered to Lakefront airport, just after landing, being towed to ANG hangar. I don't know how he stopped. It wasn't flown out for three months until a cold enough morning allowed the takeoff.

Photos by Ed
all rights reserved

Jackson Barracks: the AFV outside displays.

M38 truck, 1/4ton

M274 1/2 ton 4x4 utility truck "mule"

Another M274 this one USMC marked

M151A2 1/4 ton 4x4 truck made by AMC

A Dodge command car

rear view

Another Dodge command car

the back side

M20 scout car

photos by Ed
all rights reserved

Last edited:
According to Military Trader the early ones had 4cyl air cooled, the first were pull start. By the third model, a 2cyl air cooled, through the final models. Engines rear mounted. They can be had for $2000 to $12000 depending on condition. Poor weather protection and no heater, max speed 25MPH.

The last non aviation from Jackson Barracks, Louisiana National Guard headquarters and museum, New Orleans:

AZP S-60 (Type 59 Chinese) 57mm Anti Aircraft

Skoda 37mm Kanon P.U.V. vz.37.L/47.8

M1937 53-K 45mm anti tank USSR

M1939 G(61-K) Type 7450 Chinese air defense

ZPU-4 14.5mm anti aircraft

photos by Ed
all rights reserved

A July 29 2003 Trip to the Alamo, San Antonio, Texas meant a short detour to the Texas Air Museum, Stinson Chapter, near the Stinson Municipal Airport. Very little had been done with these pictures except put them in the files. The lighting inside the building was lit only by the open doors and very poor skylight panels in the roof which made for very dark photos. Recently looking for other photos, I realised I could enhance the exposure problem with my daughter's Photoshop program. I checked their museum website and discovered they have added aircraft, repainted some existing displays, added interior lighting in the hangar and made vast improvements in eighteen years.

Fw 190A-8 732183/4 12./JG 5 allegedly downed 9 FEB 45 by RAF Mustang. This aircraft in now at the Fighter Factory in Virginia.

Sikorsky UH-34E BuNo 145728 seen here as Army, it has now been put in USN colors.

Photos by Ed
All rights reserved

More Texas Air Museum, Stinson Chapter:

Bleriot replica of Katherine Stinson's aircraft with the original engine

Curtiss Model D replica with no engine also labelled as Christofferson Headless Pusher

P-26 replica no longer on site

WACO 10 model GXE c/n1801 mfg 1929 with Curtiss OX 5

McClish Funk B85C c/n 342 mfg 1946

Overviews of the exhibits then, lots of local aviation history

photos by Ed
all rights reserved

These few pictures were from The WW2 Museum New Orleans July 2016. I took my grandson and the only photos I planned were of the P-51 in 332nd colors recently hung, as I had made many photos on an earlier visit. This pavilion was just opened with great natural light but some of the spotlights put yellow areas on the subjects.
P-51D

photos by Ed
all rights reserved

These others from the 2016 visit were too good to pass up. First, being that close to the SBD's interior, then discovering the Bf 109 that I didn't know was there.

SBD

This Bf 109 is not what it seems. Note no L/G in the wells. Fortunately a volunteer happened along as I was trying to get the shots in this overgrown phone booth where they hung it. It is actually a passage between buildings. The volunteer told me that it represents a generic "G" because it has a few actual parts, some fibre glass parts, of course no engine, as well as other materials. He sounded like a modeller, when I asked about the colors, he said they had been researched by several of the volunteers before deciding on the paint scheme.

photos by Ed
all rights reserved

A November 20/21 2020 Trip to the USS Alabama. I had visited before in 1993 and photoed with Kodachrome, this time (post Katrina 2014) using digital.

F-14A-125-GR BuNo 161611 msn470

F-15A-13-MC 75-0045 msn 0146/A125 painted as F-15C 79-0078

F-16A-10-GD 79-0334 msn 61-119 ex GF-16A

photos by Ed
all rights reserved

Users who are viewing this thread