Avro Anson documents (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Opened another long forgotten box and it contains the Avro Technical Service Bulletins.

Some are on paper - colour and clean but damaged binder holes and a little brittle.
1657088486430.png

Some are on 1960s fax paper. Brown. As thin as rice paper and as brittle as all hell. It is going to take a few days to scan this file - about 7cm thick. And even more to process I think.

1657088265883.png

I tried Zooms method of scanning fragile pages using the ADF but these pages come out even harder to read so they will not process well.

Last edited:
The brown copies are most likely Thermofax copies by 3M, common in the 60s. They are heat sensitive and will also degrade over time if left in light.

That certainly seems to be the case as the edges are darker and more fragile.

And yes there is at least one Vulcan TSB in the set.

Haven't found a 707 one yet though

When I first started in 1962 with Eastman Kodak's microfilm division (Recordak), I discovered several early document storage/retrieval systems, some going back to WW2 V-Mail. There were microcards which were like a microfishe printed on photoprint paper and used in a reader/viewer as in more modern microfishe readers. What you have is most likely something produced from microfilm originals, enlarged and printed on negative paper, as well as positive paper. They should meet archival quality specs.

That's too bad. The operator of the microfilmer is the key to good work. It quickly becomes a boring job as it is repetitive but relatively simple. I have seen on other threads in the forum complaints about poor placement, folded oversize pages and other mistakes. When I worked in the lab as well as later in the field training the customer's operators accuracy was stressed as these were historical (35mm) or bank (16mm) records which may have to last a lifetime. In fact, much of the ancestry records were microfilmed (35mm) by travelling teams, usually a man & wife, from the Mormon Church. They would come into a town or county seat, film birth, death and marriage records. I first serviced a team's microfilm machine in the early 1970s. As I remember, they were paid a penny per shot and any retakes, regardless of reason, was on them.

I have started a new thread for the TSBs as they cover all the following types - did you know there were 8 main variants to the Ashton? Nor did I until I read these.

Attached is a NACA report on the Anson.

1657534604913.png

Attachments

• Avro Anson NACA Circ 201.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
And another version of the Vol 1. This time the 1937 2nd edition. That would have been issued as a book and the photocopy I got has all the stitching marks but it is missing the cover and a number of pages - mainly in the introduction. Naturally if anyone has the missing pages PM them to me and I will add them in.
1664688682555.png

Also today two pages only from AP 1525A&D Vol 1 of unknown date and revision number.

Attachments

• z AP 1525A&D v1 pages ww2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • AP 1525 v1 2ed Anson (37-04) ww2 OCR.pdf
    10.6 MB · Views: 85
A friend who I sent a copy of the 1937 vol 1 to has said he has a copy of the same edition that is much different and will scan it for me.

As an example he sent the index in the one I sent and posted here
1666747134001.png

and his index.
1666747281993.png

Obviously mine has been amended and his is earlier with at least one amendment. He says his is also a lot thicker. I will post once I have it.

Here is the second edition with ALs 1 through 3 included which a friend lent me. 183 pages after I stripped out all the blank pages instead of 144 pages total and with some good additional diagrams. Where a page has a glued in ammendment I have put in two copies of the page and boxed the revision.

This one is a bound book and the amendments are either written in ink or are strips of paper glued to the existing pages. Some of the inked changes did not copy well. Because it is not loose leaf book there is a fair bit of barrelling on some pages. I was not willing to apply pressure as it many damage the 80+ year old binding

I will have to go back to the other copy I posted earlier and have a hard look at it as it is obviously a consolidated reprint with the same, and possibly other, amendments incorporated. I will add pages from this copy if the text on the preceding and following pages is identical. I will also add the missing diagrams

Not an urgent project given my current workload.

1667541534894.png
1667541467354.png

Attachments

• AP 1525 v1 2ed AL3 Anson (37-04) ww2 OCR.pdf
    58.6 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back