Avro-vulcan (XH558)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had seen a Vulcan fly overhead as a teen. I saw it while I was on my way to a boat yard where the boat our Sea Explorer (Sea Scout) unit had was kept. I was able to differentiate certain aircraft by engine sound back then. I heard a plane unlike any I had ever heard before. I looked up and saw a "tin triangle". The first time I had seen a military plane from another nation. I found out later at our Friday night meeting at NASNY (Floyd Bennett Naval Air Station) that the Vulcan was part of an RAF team setting out to break the speed record New York to London. There it was. Parked with a couple of RAF Phantoms by the hangar that Air Force One (the 707) used once when President Nixon came to New York. Boy was I impressed.

When the Vulcan moved from the high-level nuclear role to low level operations, it received "wrap around" camouflage, as it would be operating, for example, up valleys and flying low over various terrain features. Underside camouflage helped when the aircraft was turning and banking, as observers possibly could be at a higher level than the aircraft !
This camouflage style continued onto other strike aircraft, such as Buccaneer, Jaguar, Harrier and Tornado, until replaced by the current overall grey schemes.

I must admit that I preferred the all white scheme. My most enduring memory of Vulcans was at an air display at Finningly in England when 3 of them did a simulated rapid deployment take off in line abreast. The noise was indescribable and resulted in a lot of crying children and howling dogs.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back