B-17 Bomb Bay

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You're more than welcome Bill, and yes, I forgot to mention the other jettison areas, one being the Wash, as you correctly stated, and I believe another in the northern part of the North Sea, used for aircraft returning from attacks on Scandinavia, or returning from German targets to bases in north Yorkshire and Co. Durham. I think part of the latter is now used as a bombing range and / or Military Aircraft Exercise and Live Fire Zone, or used to be - I remember NATO aircraft in he area up to at least the early 1980's. There are still 'live fire' ranges over the Wash too.

Dammit Bill, I was just going to start an expedition to recover King Johns treasure and you tell me you bombed it, another sure fire scheme thwarted.
King John's Lost treasure - will it ever be found?
Sorry about that:rolleyes: If the treasure is in the Wash it is buried under a mountain of unexploded bombs plus five 100 lb practice bombs, filled with sand, with my name on them.

Last edited:
Interesting. I bet that has a lil to do with the tens of thousands of unexploded bombs still buried throughout Germany today.

Sad to say you probably are correct. It is hard for me to understand, after going through the mission preparation effort, how anyone could short change total effect of the drop this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back