B-17 G 1:48 scale, 351st Bomb Group, 510th Squadron, AC# 43-37862, Fearless Fosdick

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, time for some updates. First off I've finally gotten in all the photo etch parts I ordered and a sheet of generic bomber decals.

The rest of the decals I'll have to make myself. Next, after more research of interior photographs I've worked more around the right waist gunner's position. Of course now I finally get to use the set of dental bits I've had for just such an occasion.

The one bit not shown was the one currently in my Dremel. The end looks like a wad cutter pellet but rough for grinding. That one I was using to remove surface detail that was incorrect for what needed to be shown. Here is where I am at the moment.

The stringers were well represented but not the longerons or stations. These I'm making more defined. Still more to do. Thanks guys for your kind words.

For those who do not know about what different parts of planes are called, those lines you see running horizontally from nose to tail are called longerons and stringers. The difference is in the size and purpose. Longerons are the larger of the two and are used for structural integrity... to help the plane keep its basic form. Stringers are smaller and add strength to the shape of the aircraft. Stations are the ribs of the plane and bulkheads are, for lack of a better word, walls that divide the different sections. All of this is part of an aircraft construction technique call semimonocoque. Say that ten times fast.

Well back yo work on framing the interior. It has been a little difficult finding photos of specific areas, much less any technical drawings. The rear area between the tail wheel retraction gear and the tail gunner area is not a popular place and usually not worth modeling since no one ever sees it. Still I did find some clues through photos posted around the internet. I plan to just generally model this area with what little I know about this plane and paint over this section just enough to hint its there without going overboard. Here are some photos I've found from around the web.

Then there is the front section. Like the waist gun area, there are ribs and longerons that are very pronounced. I plan to strip down the molded on equipment, build up the framing in the appropriate places, then scratch build and add photo etch parts to as close as it should be.

The other nice thing about this photo is it shows the bronze green color that was purportedly used on bombers of this time period although it would be close. The date of manufacture of this aircraft shows that it was built in Seattle Washington just a couple months before the color specification changed... again.

The cockpit area photo I found seems also to be the same color.

Anyway, back to work.

Users who are viewing this thread