B-17 G Chin Turret Zippers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rasselas

Recruit
May 3, 2009
I have asked a number of G model pilots and mechanics but none have been able to answer this..

Did the zippers on the chin turret ever get stuck because they were coated with ice? Those high altitudes and temperature differences must have created some moisture and it would be hard to believe they didn't stick...If so, what was the remedy if any?

Thanks in advance,

I have asked a number of G model pilots and mechanics but none have been able to answer this..

Did the zippers on the chin turret ever get stuck because they were coated with ice? Those high altitudes and temperature differences must have created some moisture and it would be hard to believe they didn't stick...If so, what was the remedy if any?

Thanks in advance,

Now thats a very interesting question of which I have no answer for. If you find out I would love to know the answer to that one and welcome to the forum.

It was a power turret, wasn't it?
If there were icing/jamming problems, surely the guns would just rip the zips (or the canvas) away and keep travelling?

Attachments

• 17chin_zip.jpg
    17chin_zip.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 344
What a great forum..Thanks for the welcome and I am impressed with the responses and quickness of reply...

I think Colin1 is right about the guns just ripping through the zippers, but if this were a common problem, wouldn't there be a solution?

It was a power turret, wasn't it?
If there were icing/jamming problems, surely the guns would just rip the zips (or the canvas) away and keep travelling?

Colin - I know you are correct. The only point of the zipper cover was a mild attempt at reducing drag.

I don't know how moisture protection factored into the use of the zipper covers.

Ok, while I was visiting Aluminum Overcast today, I got some official lowdown regarding the two main questions in this thread :lol:

The first being about any icing issues on the zippers. According to a number of ETO vets who flew aboard B-17s, the icing could get terrible, but the turret never suffered any malfunctions because of a frozen zipper. Also I was told the ball turret gunner wasn't happy about the crew "relieving" themselves while they were at altitude, because the "liquid" would spray back and freeze all over the ball turret. I know you're thinking that doesn't have anything to do with the first question, but *technically* it does...there was a zipper involved :lol:

The second question, regarding the possibility of Aluminum Overcast being retired after the 2010 season: Not gonna happen, according to her skipper. They have decided to keep her going as along as they can. The outfit that owns/operates Aluminum Overcast has one of the largest collections of spare B-17 parts in the world.

The second question, regarding the possibility of Aluminum Overcast being retired after the 2010 season: Not gonna happen, according to her skipper. They have decided to keep her going as along as they can. The outfit that owns/operates Aluminum Overcast has one of the largest collections of spare B-17 parts in the world.

Thats good news, many thanks!!!!

Good result in answering the first question Dave, and excellent result on the second. Good to hear the ship will still be going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back