B-17 "Knucklehead" (Pacific Theatre)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mortain44

Recruit
Apr 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I am looking for photo and/or information on a Pacific Theatre B-17 nicknamed "Knucklehead". If anyone can post, send or refer me to a photo ... great! I missed an earlier opportunity to get a ground photo of the plane with flight crew. Any assistance is appreciated! Internet searches aren't generating any leads so far.

Thanks.

Wow, hard subject there, I havent seen to many books on B-17's in the pacific. Osprey has one but I didnt see a picture of the aircraft you are looking for in the book I have. I have a couple of more books to look through but have my doubts. Maybe some one else will have something.

By the way welcome to the board.

Paul

Thanks, Paul ...

I really appreciate the effort. I understand that there are records of either tail numbers or serial numbers, so it would be great if I can get a photo with the tail number ... then I can research. I am kicking myself for missing out on the photo on ebay, as I believe it had the ground-crew's names listed underneath. Also, a while back, I found a link to a site that had a brief service description, but that site link no longer works.

Again, much appreciated.
Vic

Vic you could try this tactic, start searching for websites of B-17 Bomber groups that served in the pacfic. Some web sites list B-17 aircraft names that where known to fly with a squadron and go from there.

Hopfully that will help.

Paul

Attachments

• b-17.JPG
    b-17.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 258
Thanks again, Paul. I've begun researching some of the unit websites based on your pdf listing. :idea: I think your list will be of great assistance. I'm also considering the purchase of a couple of books specific to B-17s in the Pacific.

Vic

Thanks again, Paul. I've begun researching some of the unit websites based on your pdf listing. :idea: I think your list will be of great assistance. I'm also considering the purchase of a couple of books specific to B-17s in the Pacific.

Vic

Your welcome Vic!!!! :lol:

Dear Vic,
I ran across your post on this site and I am also looking for info on the same plane. I know some things about it and the crew but was wondering if you had been able to locate a picture. Tail No. 41-9222, "Knucklehead", 341st BS (originally 50 Recon in HI), 11th BG, Pacific Theater near Guadalcanal, returned to US. I have one old photo of the first crew, which my grandfather served as lower/ball turret gunner, Pilot was Wessman. It would be great if we could compare notes. Stan.

Last edited:
This is an old thread posted in 2009. I'm not sure if Mortain44 is still around here.

This is an old thread posted in 2009. I'm not sure if Mortain44 is still around here. Please , try to send him an e-mail via the site rather.

RS ... I'll send an email, but back when I researched, I didn't find anything of substance, and have no info myself. I believe that my Uncle Freddie may have have caught a ride back home from the Phillipines on the plane (is it called "deadheading" if you're not a pilot?). He was an ordnance/motorcycle mechanic in the Army and flew from the Phillipines to the West Coast on his trip home. He was a Harley-Davidson mechanic, racer and trick rider before and after the war, and apparently he remembered the name since the first Harley Overhead Valve motorcycle from Harley was nicknamed the Knucklehead. I have a 1940 Knucklehead and am interested in using the B-17s nose art (if any) on the motorcycle's tanks as a tribute (and maybe have the nose art or air plane painted on the back of a bomber jacket. Anyway, I'm sorry I can't help more with history for your dad. My dad and his 4 brothers all served in WWII and getting info is becoming very difficult, especially since many of the ARMY records from the time were destroyed in a fire. I'll email separately, but also wanted to let you know that the photo I saw on ebay some 4 years ago may have had names of the pictured crew as well.

I am looking for photo and/or information on a Pacific Theatre B-17 nicknamed "Knucklehead". If anyone can post, send or refer me to a photo ... great! I missed an earlier opportunity to get a ground photo of the plane with flight crew. Any assistance is appreciated! Internet searches aren't generating any leads so far.

Thanks.
I have a picture of that plane, knucklehead. Text contact me and we can make arrangements

The picture I have is the plane & flight crew. My grandmother's brother was the tail gunner. Not sure this was his assigned plane or his training plane & crew as he was in Europe and lost his life in a crash over the White Cliffs (12/25/43). Maybe we can figure something out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks.
Attached is a photo of my fathers crew (Herbert W Moore, 2LT) in Delhart, TX on June 15th 1943 in front of "Knucklehead". This crew went to the 8th AF in the 388th BG on the plane Veni Vidi Vici.

Attachments

• Vini Vidi Crew in front of Knucklehead.jpg
    Vini Vidi Crew in front of Knucklehead.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
Attached is a photo of my fathers crew (Herbert W Moore, 2LT) in Delhart, TX on June 15th 1943 in front of "Knucklehead". This crew went to the 8th AF in the 388th BG on the plane Veni Vidi Vici.

I have a pic of that exact plane, but with a different crew. This leads me to believe that what I was told is true, that this particular "KNUCKLEHEAD" was a training B17.

I have this exact photo myself. On the front row, the 1st man on the far left is my Great Uncle Howard Gaines.

I have this exact photo myself. On the front row, the 1st man on the far left is my Great Uncle Howard Gaines.

Cindy:
I have worked with a company that produces model airplane decals and they just released a set of decals specifically for Veni Vidi Vici. A photo of Howard Gaines next to his ball turret is enclosed to this decal set. Also, the decal "Kentucky Kid" that was on the ball turret comes with the set. If your interested, please contact me via e-mail.

Btw, my father went to Churchill Downs to see Howard Gaines after the war.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cindy:
I have worked with a company that produces model airplane decals and they just released a set of decals specifically for Veni Vidi Vici. A photo of Howard Gaines next to his ball turret is enclosed to this decal set. Also, the decal "Kentucky Kid" that was on the ball turret comes with the set. If your interested, please contact me via e-mail.

Btw, my father went to Churchill Downs to see Howard Gaines after the war.
I would very much be interested. I have a lot of great photos of Howard's from the war. I left you message in your e-mail. How wonderful that your father and Howard were re-united after the war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back