B-24 / B-25 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger, do you see explosion "icons" anywhere else?
 
It is the aircraft ID data plate.

U.S. ARMY B24-D
AIR CORPS SERIAL NO. 41-24047

CHCW WEIGHT 1200 LBS.

SERVICE THIS AIRPLANE WITH
100 OCTANE FUEL ONLY

BLOCK NO. 15

PS. There is one more line at the bottom but I can't work it out fully. IMHO it can be ... SUITABLE YOUR ( or FOR ) ......CATION



However the line isn't the standard one applied of the factory. In these three shots taken in the different time periods the line was added later. It looks like the early one did have it while the later one didn't.
I'm late to this one, but I'm pretty sure it should say CREW WEIGHT. I can't read what weight is listed, but that marking being much lower than a normal combat crew is not uncommon.

I believe the last line is SUITABLE FOR AROMATICS, as in aromatic fuels. While it's a different aircraft, two of the B-26 drawings in my collection mention to write either SUITABLE FOR AROMATICS or NOT SUITABLE FOR AROMATICS on the technical data block depending on whether the entire fuel system is capable of handling those types of fuel or not.
 
I'm late to this one, but I'm pretty sure it should say CREW WEIGHT. I can't read what weight is listed, but that marking being much lower than a normal combat crew is not uncommon.

I believe the last line is SUITABLE FOR AROMATICS, as in aromatic fuels. While it's a different aircraft, two of the B-26 drawings in my collection mention to write either SUITABLE FOR AROMATICS or NOT SUITABLE FOR AROMATICS on the technical data block depending on whether the entire fuel system is capable of handling those types of fuel or not.

Hi Matty,

That's very possible there is the CREW WEIGHT ... I have had a look at a couple of others but the inscriptions was written wit a smaller font and it wasn't possible to read it correctly, Now it sounds more correct as the 1200 LBS isn't too much for the number of the crew members.

Regarding the SUITABLE FOR AROMATICS... same as with the CREW WEIGHT. I haven't found it in many images of the B-24D. Actually the one I noticed on the "Moby Dick" only. And it is quite interesting because the line with the writing appeared in two later images.

I have think you are right and hit the nail. Glad you found the thread. Two heads are better than one. :)

Stanislav Stas1234 Stas1234 please update the inscriptions there.
 


Wow .. looking much great. However there is a lack of one explosion in the Italy. See my pic. Addirionally the image of the map is too large. I have made my one lower from the top and narrower from the right. Secondly the names of the countries aren't needed . Just a couple of these can be noticed. The city names also aren't needed as well as the borderlines or rivers. The name Mediterranean Sea seems to be running from the Sicily to Creta and is curved down. And was made with darker than the blue colour. And there isn't the black profile of the B-24D next to the Africa coast. Thirdly, the shape of the coast line and land in the top right corner is incorrect I have edited it alittle bit to make its appearance more correct.

mapa3new2.jpg
 
I think I've finished the map... There are certainly plenty of inaccuracies, but they aren't noticeable on the aircraft model. Plus, I added my own base locations (I'm not sure about Bulgaria) and flight paths, just like last time.







1790320918302.png

1790321027512.png
 
As for the tail section—I'm comparing it to the Revell kit, and I'm a bit confused: is this the same aircraft, or a different one?

41-11761-B-24D-Liberator-15AF-98BG343BS-R-The-Squaw-nose-art-left-side-War-Bond-tour-1944-01.jpg

1790323772620.png
 
As for the tail section—I'm comparing it to the Revell kit, and I'm a bit confused: is this the same aircraft, or a different one?

View attachment 896441
View attachment 896442


No it is the same bomber but the decals are the wrong rendition used for the model. It is the same decal set with the wrong map. See the link ...

the markings on the port side ...

ts1.jpg

ts1a.jpg


the general view of the starboard ...

ts3.jpg

ts3a.jpg


the markings on the starboard ...

ts2.jpg


Here is a Hasegawa 1:72 scale model with decals that look much better than the one above. Please notice the better rendition of the map and the badges on the starboard tail. Not fully correct but much better though.

has2.jpg

hase3.jpg

the pic source: https://pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=74614

IMHO the differences in the markings of the medals seem to be because of mixing of the british ,american both the ww2 and modern medals. Here is the shot with pasted the true WW2 USA service ribbons that were given at the wartime. These are quite old items so the colours could be a little bit darker and faded than the new ones. For instance the brownish colour should be more reddish. In the same way the bleu one should be a little bit bluish. The exception is the Congressional Medal of Honor that had the ribbon of the Sky-blueish. But I have seen the service ribbon also of the blue colour. So it depends on you which one you can choose.

medale2.jpg
 
Some of the names in the right-hand column aren't visible, so I just copied a couple from the left one.








НА.png
 

Attachments

  • 41-11761-B-24D-Liberator-15AF-98BG343BS-R-The-Squaw-nose-art-left-side-War-Bond-tour-1944-01.jpg
    41-11761-B-24D-Liberator-15AF-98BG343BS-R-The-Squaw-nose-art-left-side-War-Bond-tour-1944-01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Yeah... I see now, there are a lot of errors; why didn't I see your photos earlier? :/
 
...
 

Attachments

  • НА.png
    НА.png
    287.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yeah... I see now, there are a lot of errors; why didn't I see your photos earlier? :/


Because I added them a while ago. Additionally your bottom medal is depicted as the Bronze Star Medal. But it is not the medal. In the pic you attached it can be noticed that the name is one word and starts with S and ends with the same letter. So it can't be Bronze Star because there are two words. What is more the layout of colours of the ribbon indicates the Soldier's Medal.

Secondly the military rang of R.L. Lebrecht is 1ST LT but not 2ND LT like you wrote.

ribbons.jpg
 
Well, that's it—everything seems to be absolutely correct now.

BTW .. we may discuss if there is the SOLDIER'S MEDAL or just SOLDIERS MEDAL. But according to the English grammar there should be the Saxon genitive rather. So I'll leave the decision to you. But I'm almost sure there should be the "SOLDIER'S MEDAL".
 
Wurger, are there any color references for this native woman?
 

Attachments

  • 41-11761-B-24D-Liberator-15AF-98BG343BS-R-The-Squaw-nose-art-right-side-Egypt-8th-Mar-1944-01.jpg
    41-11761-B-24D-Liberator-15AF-98BG343BS-R-The-Squaw-nose-art-right-side-Egypt-8th-Mar-1944-01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Wurger, are there any color references for this native woman?


I have to look. Please wait a little bit.

In meantime I found one more inaccuracy in the list with the military ranks of these guys right of the list you copied as these were hidden. There should have been three S/SGT., three SGT. and one CPL. So you may edit your project of the list using my one as the example accordingly. The guy at the bottom with the rang CPL. seems to be T. O'Doyle or something like that. I think it is very possible as I can see the O and the Saxon genitive sign. Also the guy above the O'Doyle has the name started with J. I edited it too. So if you may edit the file and make the list longer with the rangs edited it can look more accurate.

lista4.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back