B-24 Nose and Tail Turrets - Expended Cases and Links (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ronl

Airman
Dec 23, 2006
Does anyone have any detailed drawings or pictures showing how the expended .50 cal shell cases and links were either collected or ejected from the B-24 nose and tail turrets? An Erection and Maintenance manual for the B-24 would probably have the details. Does anyone have this manual that they could post on this site? Thanks.
Ron

Found this diagram which shows the feeds but nothing about cartridge ejection.
the tail turret shows what I would take to be an ejection port at the base. will check when I get home

Attachments

• Sperry Ball Turret.jpg
    Sperry Ball Turret.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 675
  • Sac7.jpg
    Sac7.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 661
If you look directly below each gun, you will see a rectangular opening. this is the exterior dump chute

Attachments

• Ball turret 016 5x4.JPG
    Ball turret 016 5x4.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 228
  • Ball turret 017 5x4.JPG
    Ball turret 017 5x4.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 252
Hi Mikewint,

Thanks for the information. I am pretty sure the cases and links were collected under the B-24 nose turret, but ejected into the slipstream from the tail turret. In looking at pictures of the B-24 tail turret, it looks like the cases and links fell from the sides of the turret under the guns. I look forward to seeing any information you might be able to find.

Thanks.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back