B-25 modifications

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Senior Airman
Sep 28, 2009
On B-25s, when they moved the turret to behind the pilots and the added package guns and all those nose guns (and the cannon on the G and H models) that must have played hell with the center of gravity compared to the original design. Did these add-ons make the craft nose heavy?

On B-25s, when they moved the turret to behind the pilots and the added package guns and all those nose guns (and the cannon on the G and H models) that must have played hell with the center of gravity compared to the original design. Did these add-ons make the craft nose heavy?
Ballast was probably added in the tail to keep the aircraft within the center of gravity envelope.

I know the tail gunner position added some counterbalance and in the Pacific they added a fuel tank behind the bomb bay but I can't imagine just adding dead weight to a combat aircraft!

I know the tail gunner position added some counterbalance and in the Pacific they added a fuel tank behind the bomb bay but I can't imagine just adding dead weight to a combat aircraft!

It's a common practice to all aircraft. There is a specified CG envelope that must be maintained. Adding ballast (usually lead bars) was and still is a common practice to maintain the CG envelope. Depending on the weight forward of the CG point will determine how much aft ballast in needed. Sometimes only a few pounds way aft of the CG will counter a significant weight forward of the CG.

Not sure a fuel tank to stabilize the center of gravity is a good idea. an empty fuel tank weighs a lot less than a full one1

When the Spitfire reached the point of development that required the contra-prop, that required a fair amount of aft ballast in the form of lead bars, the reduction gearbox was a pretty hefty item to have pinned on your nose.

My understanding is that the turrent was moved forward because after the waist guns and tail gun was added, it was tail heavy. The early models did not have the waist guns or tail guns.

DBII

Also, re-location of some electrical and radio equipment to aft of the bomb bay helped the weight and balance. One aspect sometimes overlooked though was performance. When the R.A.F. received Mitchell III's (B25J), they were in service alongside the Mitchell II's (B25C and D) already in the squadrons. Many RAF pilots flying the Mitchell II in formation alongside the III complained that they had to keep 'throttle jockey-ing', thereby using up fuel, to maintain formation, as the III was slower than the earlier II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back