B-25 "Yankee Doodle Dandy" anything you can tell me?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cat

As far as I can figure out catch22 has provide you with correct information. This picture is in his book it states the following as a caption
Our crew, Howard Olson 2nd from left and crew that kept 6y flying. Picture belonged to Howard Olson. My grandfather is not in the photo, he was an alternate.
Also I beleive the photo.was taken in Corsica

I will do the best I can to answer your questions. I personally have a copy of the book. Cecil Claflin was my grandfather.
Hi Ac0824!
It's so good that these threads never "die" and from time to time additional valuable information comes to surface! In a way the story Bill posted in the beginning of the thread (about your granddad saving the life of Jim Davidson) takes on a new meaning.
I allow myself to write here (even if it's Bill's thread): if you have any photos from your grandfather's war time you want to share, please post them here. Some other a/cs from the 486-th BS maybe?
Is there a date for that particular photo you mention? As you have seen above I wrote that it is PROBABLY an earlier photo. It's hard to say how early without a date or another clue maybe. I believe it's Corsica (Alesan base) too, because after the eruption of Vesuvius on March 17, 1944 486-th BS. moved first to Gaudo, Italy and then to Alesan, Corsica. AFAIK the squadron received their new B-25Js when they were in Corsica.
Regards!
Yves

Last edited:
Pictures from the web. General search, unsure from what sites.....
View attachment 503721
Jim Davidson was a tail gunner on this A/C.
A book was written by JR Davidson about the last mission.
It was shot down, all survived the action, not sure about those who may not have survived internship.
1. Does anyone have this book?
2. Can anyone tell me the model by the pictures?
3. Anything else by the pictures?

Cheers, Bill Davidson
GB40, Heavy Hitters
View attachment 503722

My father was Roman H Figler Jr, the First Lieutenant and pilot of the 6Y plane shot down Feb 13, 1945. This photo was taken years later when my father was in the Reserves.
I have the book. As well as the book Palouse Pilot.

Attachments

• 969A17BA-4B66-4C61-A825-BC351C152AA3.jpeg
    969A17BA-4B66-4C61-A825-BC351C152AA3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • CF2780FF-B494-4D0C-B3A4-AFC430B6D688.png
    CF2780FF-B494-4D0C-B3A4-AFC430B6D688.png
    277.3 KB · Views: 40
  • B730707D-62F8-48EE-8ABB-4F57733F405F.png
    B730707D-62F8-48EE-8ABB-4F57733F405F.png
    680.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, stranger things happen.
Thanks for the information. I did this AC because there was a Davidson onboard.
You must be proud of your father. Surviving was exceptional. They who served, served well.

As another build drew a response from the UK.
I built a Lancaster, one the son as a navigator died in at 19 over Lile France.
He billited with a family there. After the war his mother and father visited this family and while they were there a son was born who was named after this young navigator. He found my build by finding his name. A small world.

Bill Davidson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back