B-25J Mitchell Landing Gear

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
I started an 1:48 Mitchell the other day. When I got to the main landing gear install, looking at the model opening and door, I was puzzled as to how the gear was stowed. The model, admittedly is not very detailed (Revell 5512), but for me good enough. Looking on line I see photos of actual Mitchells with gear up and down, so the model seams to be close. But the openings for the wheels just do not look like they allow stowing? Anyone have any illustrations or photos? Did the wheels collapse, swivel, retract straight up?

As memo serves the landing wheels were retracted back without the swiveling like for the Curtiss P-40. .The main wheels were retracted into the nacelles and therefore there is the bulge seen at the wheel bay doors when closed. Also there was an oppening in the bay roof at the back area where the main wheel was. In the same way the nose wheel was retracted too.. Here is a shot of a B-25 during retracting of the landing gear.

b-25 wheels.jpg

The pic source: the net.

Last edited:
There appeared to have been only the single panel (door?) when looking at any of the photos. Further inspection of the model that I have does reveal the 'bumps' where a tire would be behind when retracted, and some poorly defined panel lines which I suppose would have been the other panels that would open when extending or retracting the gear? Strange to not have seen any 'flying' photos of this? I guess when opened the drag would have been horrendous! Thanks. You appear to be correct.

1024px-B-25_Mitchell_%27Yankee_Warrior%27_at_Ohio%27s_Wood_County_Airport.jpg

My pleasure Mate. If you check on the movie I posted here above ( especially the second part about the landing ) you will find something about the stall of the kite with the landing gear opened.

My apologies. I responded before watching the movies. Your first photo and description were perfectly on. The movies were interesting to watch and did highlight my suspicion on the amount of drag. After watching I'm even more in awe of those who did fly these types of craft.

Strange to not have seen any 'flying' photos of this?

Not sure what you mean by this but the bay doors ( both the front one and the main ones ) were opened for a short time only while the legs were retracting or lowering. Then these doors were set closed again. There were only three small panels lowered when the bomber was parked. Therefore no images when flying.

Edit .. Oh.. w criss-crossed posts. :) No problemo. :wave:

Last edited:
Actually, your initial photo is what I was trying to describe. A B25, in flight, with the bay doors open. Thanks again.

These images can be useful for you.

A little bit of detail about how the landing gear is made up, its retraction mechanism, the gates and how they look closed.

1A.jpg

1B.jpg

1C.jpg
1D.jpg
1E.jpg

1F.jpg

1G.jpg

1H.jpg

1I.jpg

What Wojtek (Wurger) says to you, seems to answer your doubt and any other that may arise, do not hesitate to ask for help.
I am also in a B-25G 1/48, if there is something that I can support you, count on it.

Saludos cordiales :thumbup:
Luis Carlos
SANCER

Last edited:
If you would be interested in.. the diagram of the fuselage intermediate frame assembly. The structure of the nacelles can be seen too. IMHO together with Luis' shots should be useful.

B25diagram.png

And here diagrams for landing gear ...

B25_main lg.png

B25_nose LG.png

Last edited:
I will never cease to be amazed at the information that is available, and offered, on this site. Many thanks to all who have sent the information.

And SANCER (Luis), unless you can send some 'skills' I'm good with the instructions and the detailing. Got back into modeling after many years; was supposed to be a 'patience' lesson for some grandsons. Well, that didn't work out so well, but I'm hooked again! This landing gear detail just tweaked the engineer curiosity in me.

As memo serves the landing wheels were retracted back without the swiveling like for the Curtiss P-40. .The main wheels were retracted into the nacelles and therefore there is the bulge seen at the wheel bay doors when closed. Also there was an oppening in the bay roof at the back area where the main wheel was. In the same way the nose wheel was retracted too.. Here is a shot of a B-25 during retracting of the landing gear.

View attachment 481773
The pic source: the net.
Is this a RATO take-off foto??

I will never cease to be amazed at the information that is available, and offered, on this site. Many thanks to all who have sent the information.

And SANCER (Luis), unless you can send some 'skills' I'm good with the instructions and the detailing. Got back into modeling after many years; was supposed to be a 'patience' lesson for some grandsons. Well, that didn't work out so well, but I'm hooked again! This landing gear detail just tweaked the engineer curiosity in me.
It is also my case, I resume modeling after several years.
It's good that you're hooked again; It has become for me my therapist !.
The "skills" will appear again and you will be impressed by your progress.
As you say, you are in the best forum and a lot of experts and connoisseurs in modeling and military aviation, will be willing to help you (I speak from my own experience)

Greetings from Mexico :thumbup:

Another interesting point about the B-25's nose gear is that it retracts slightly to the starboard of the centerline, so that there is room inside for the bombardier or gunner to be able to crawl from the cockpit area to the nose, using the space to the port of the retract bay.

Somewhere I have photos (real, not digial) picture of me doing a gear retraction test on a B-25 I used to fly on as copilot. I'll have to see if I can dig them up and scan them. In the picture below you can see the doors on left nacelle just starting to open and the gear as just come out of down locks and is starting to swing. Nose gear hasn't yet opened. When it did, you could always feel a big draft in the cockpit. You could always smell rubber too as there was a small pad in the gear well which stopped the wheel from spinning.
B-25 gear.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back