B-29 & P-38 flaps

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Skyediamonds

Staff Sergeant
May 26, 2018
Good morning everyone.

I'm in the process of acquiring detailed information to model Guillow's B-29 & P-38 for display with both models to feature their flaps fully extended. However I'm not sure of the exact details of the surfaces of the flaps or how they're mounted.

Since Guillow's does not provide any details, parts, or construction to include flaps, this portion of the build will be scratched out. This also involves recreating the undersides of the wing & the retraction mechanisms that from what I can determine on the P-38, to be Fowler Flaps. So I'll probably have my hands full in trying to replicate this area as well.

From what I can gather on the B-29, the flaps have a large lip with trailing edges that also includes the rear portion of the engine nacelles that seems to butt up against the wing trailing edge & thereby complete the overall outlines. I'd appreciate anyone being able to come up with drawings &/or photos showing this feature up close so I can replicate this into the model.

The same can be said for the P-38. It's my intention to modify the standard -J model provided by the kit into the original prototype XP-38. There are numerous differences between the original prototype & production variants & I've managed to acquire most, if not all the needed documentation.

However, the exact details on the flaps remain hazy. Do they retract completely under the wing with no sign of the trailing edge butting up against the trailing edge of the wing? Or do they feature a lip, similar to the B-29 in the context that the remaining trailing edge of the flaps form part of the trailing edge of the wing when fully retracted? Any photos or drawings would be appreciated.

Thanking in advance,

Skye

This should be of some help. Note the other pages below as well.

P-38Design-2.jpg
P38DesignP6.jpg

Attachments

• P-38DesignAnal-13.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-13.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 8
  • P-38DesignAnal-12.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-12.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P-38DesignAnal-11.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-11.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P-38DesignAnal-10.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-10.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P-38DesignAnal-9.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-9.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P-38DesignAnal-8.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-8.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P-38DesignAnal-7.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-7.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P-38DesignAnal-6.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-6.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 5
  • P-38DesignAnal-5.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-5.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P-38DesignAnal-4.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-4.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 2
  • P-38DesignAnal-3.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-3.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P-38DesignAnal-2.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-2.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P-38DesignAnal-1.jpg
    P-38DesignAnal-1.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 6
I have done a detailed ordinate study for the P-38 including the Flap layouts, for which I have attached a few files to give you some idea of the content. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Attachments

• Flap Layout CS.jpg
    Flap Layout CS.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 235452 Ords.pdf
    175.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 197350 flap.pdf
    197.3 KB · Views: 8
This should be of some help. Note the other pages below as well.

View attachment 769369View attachment 769370
Mlflyer:

This is great. Thank you very much. I'm also grateful for the extra details such as landing gears & nose mounts & more.

I'll study them for sure.

It's my intention to convert the standard Guillow's kit from a skeletal frame wrapped in tissue to infill the fuselage pod & twin booms for a solid surface. From there, I intend to cover the whole model with Flite Metal. This is an aluminum foil system with a peel off sticky backing.

Thus, if all goes well, I hope to produce a model with a highly polished surface similar to the original prototype.

I've enclosed a few sample pictures of my previous Guillow's project: a P-51 Mustang finished as Big Beautiful Doll in a departure from weathering it as a worn WWII fighter to a more modern restoration by its current owner.

Yes, it's a Guillow's.

I hope to do the same with the XP-38.

Thank you again,

Skye

Attachments

• IMG_8307.jpeg
    IMG_8307.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8304.jpeg
    IMG_8304.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8288.jpeg
    IMG_8288.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8305.jpeg
    IMG_8305.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8308.jpeg
    IMG_8308.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
I have done a detailed ordinate study for the P-38 including the Flap layouts, for which I have attached a few files to give you some idea of the content. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Hugh:

This is great. I am having trouble opening the attachment files with my phone. So I'll use my laptop. I'm sure the data is spot-on.

I've enclosed a few sample photos in my response to Mlflyer of my previous Guillow's project: a P-51 Mustang. It's my intentions to replicate the same with the Lightening.

As an aside:

A few years ago, I submitted dozens of pictures to WW2Aircraft.net of my ongoing project of the Mustang build as it progressed through different stages of the build.

I'm sure they're still here (somewhere).

Thank you, sir.

Skye

Hugh:

This is great. I am having trouble opening the attachment files with my phone. So I'll use my laptop. I'm sure the data is spot-on.

I've enclosed a few sample photos in my response to Mlflyer of my previous Guillow's project: a P-51 Mustang. It's my intentions to replicate the same with the Lightening.

As an aside:

A few years ago, I submitted dozens of pictures to WW2Aircraft.net of my ongoing project of the Mustang build as it progressed through different stages of the build.

I'm sure they're still here (somewhere).

Thank you, sir.

Skye
Yoy mean this one? Super detailing Guillow's P-51D Mustang

Mlflyer:

This is great! Excellent homebuilt aircraft of the P-38. It looks to be either a -J or an -L model…

What immediately caught my attention about this homebuilt is its canopy. Unlike the production Lightnings where the upper part of the canopy folds over itself on top, the original prototype had its upper canopy hinged to open on the right side. The homebuilt replicated this feature beautifully.

I'll save the photos for future reference.

Thank you, sir!

Skye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back