B-47 Beautiful bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-47 00019.jpg
B-47-2.jpg
B-47-1.jpg

Back in the 80's they wanted a B-47 for the museum at Castle AFB, CA. So a crew went down to MASDC at DM, dug out the old B-47 manuals, picked out a B-47 in the boneyard, got it in flying condition and flew it to Castle AFB. That must have been fun, having the only flying B-47 to play with for a few hours.

Would have be tempting to do a touch and go at a base en-route and have people saying, "Was that a....?"

When I was at Tinker AFB in the mid-70's we were the ALC for KC-97's. In addition to usual air refueling duties they were used to haul heating oil to Buffalo one especially bad winter; with their reversing props they could stop on ice covered runways while KC-135A's could not. Then one day the KC-97 structures guy got a call. At one base they had found serious corrosion at the MLG attach points. He called the other bases, had them look, and they reported the same thing. And that was the end of the KC-97 fleet.. They flew them all to MASDC at DM.

Last edited:
As a cadet, I have great memories of about 10 minutes stick time in the KC-97 during which I could not keep it at set altitude because I flew as if in a light plane. When the next day, I got a half hour stick time in a KC-135 and found it easy to keep it on altitude, I asked why the difference between 135 and 97 and was told the swept wings made the difference. Also in the 97, I was fortunate to fly the boom under the sergeant's watchful eye and watch him refuel a B-47.

Make some popcorn, its movie time...

Stratojet: Meet Your Boeing B-47 - Restored Color - 1954

The B-47: Boeing B-47 Stratojet Bomber Pilot Familiarization circa 1951 USAF

Boeing B-47 Stratojet Aerial Refueling Testing

Boeing B-47 Stratojet (Low Altitude Bombing System) LABS Maneuver

Boeing B-47 Stratojet Combat Maneuvers

Boeing B-47 Stratojets; Andersen AFB Guam
Boeing B-47 Stratojet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back