B17 Nose Number Identity

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DJR1911

Recruit
Nov 23, 2019
I'm researching a particular B17 and I'm curious to know if the nose number in this photograph might actually be the Boeing production number. It seems logical that it would be but perhaps there is another explanation.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.55.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.53.23 AM.png

The history of 42-32026 is quite interesting with several near disasters and eventually lost due to icing. The photo above was possibly taken stateside and that might explain the difference in paint scheme from a different photo from a later date. Perhaps these are two completely different machines, and that is likely, but I would like to eliminate the possibility that they are the same.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.04.09 AM.png

The aircraft in the picture with the crew members is of particular and personal interest to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Pictures are from my collection, Boeing production pages, and random internet)

DJR

I'm researching a particular B17 and I'm curious to know if the nose number in this photograph might actually be the Boeing production number. It seems logical that it would be but perhaps there is another explanation.

View attachment 567090
DJR
I doubt the whole plane has been manufactured in N/M and later camouflaged in a base in Great Britain.
IMHO this is the Radio Call Sign, using the last 4 digits of the serial number e.g. B-17G-40-BO with s/n 42-97140.
Same numbering below for B-17G-70-BO, s/n 43-37784.
1000w_q95.jpg

Below the same type of numbers. Both a/cs are B-17F and the 4 digits are parts of s/ns assigned to B-17F.
5c86bbaaaa7db.image.jpg

williamscrew247.jpg

I've seen the same 4-digit numbers on different a/cs too. For example a B-24H, s/n 42-7656.
CHERRYCHASER1.jpg

Below the same type of numbering.
5560.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that makes sense to me. I'm convinced you're correct and thank you for the help.

Yes, that makes sense to me. I'm convinced you're correct and thank you for the help.
You are welcome. In general I believe that the USAAC/USAAF never used any manufacturer's numbers as identifier. The serials given to all a/cs were based on the contract and the fiscal year of the government. The fiscal year starts on July 1 and ends on June 30 each year. Thus the manufacturing process and the purchasing process by the government are different. When surplus a/cs have been sold to civil owners, the manufacturers' numbers have been used, but not during the military service of the a/c.

As far as I know, the large numbers on the nose were applied on aircraft used for training, state side. They had nothing to do with the aircraft serial number, etc.

Jake

As far as I know, the large numbers on the nose were applied on aircraft used for training, state side. They had nothing to do with the aircraft serial number, etc.
Jake

Quote: "
Basic and Advanced Training Aircraft
The US insignia was to be displayed on the wing with optional display on the fuselage. The fuselage would display the s/n or a sequential number assigned by the base (1-999) and in most cases an alpha character identifying the assigned base in one of the following formats: Prefix, Suffix or Infix. These alpha characters represented a specific base and were known as Field Codes and are NOT to be confused with the post WWII expression of Buzz Codes."

Jake, please check this site: Four Engine Bomber: OTU/RTO and 4-E Specialized
Please, also check the last photo in my previous post (a B-24 in flight).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back